Question about running short new poly pipe line

Users who are viewing this thread

zeitgeist

Reaction score
Hello all -

First timer here. I'm not a complete newbie, but I do have a question about poly pipe.

I recently replaced an Irritrol valve and the PCV leading up to it on the supply side. Due to that, the value is now slightly closer to the poly pipe that on the output side. Because of that the current piece of poly pipe on that side would no longer fit. I cut a little off so it would fit securely on the barbed connection.

Well I got a little too overzealous and cut too much. Now, it leaks from the barbed connection when I turn on that zone. A foot down the line from the value I have my first barbed T that goes to a head. So, now I have to try to wedge about a 10" new section of poly between the value and the T.

After all that, here's my question. Since that little bit of poly i need to install isn't exactly flexible, how in the world do I get the new short piece of poly around both barbs? I have no play on the valve side, obviously. Do I need to trench back on the other side to get some flexibility? If that's what I have to do, that's fine. I just thought I'd ask if there any other possibilities before I go through that hassle.

Thanks in advance !

Brett

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can use some 90's and come in from the side or top is you can't spread the connections. Instead of two couplings, it would be four 90's.
Either that or you have some digging to do.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure I understood all of that. However a Homewerks Worldwide PVC Slide Repair Coupling might be useful.

zeitgeist

Reaction score
Reach4. Sorry if that wasn't clear. In short, I have two barbed connections that I have to get a piece of poly pipe inserted between and that distance is very short. I measured today and it's 6". One end connects to a valve. The other end connects to a T. The length is so short that I can't exactly bend the pipe and then slide it onto the barbed connections. I can't move the valve end, so it looks like I'm left with digging up the other end with the T in order to get some flexibility. I was trying to find a way to avoid that. Looks like I'm stuck doing some trenching!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
four-90-connection.jpg

If a straight line doesn't work, you can make some turns. Sort of like backing into a parking spot.

Reach4

Reaction score
Use Terry's method. You mentioned a PVC pipe, so I had thought that repair coupling might work for you, by letting you modify the PVC. You are looking for a poly/poly fix.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks