Question about approach for new project

Users who are viewing this thread

Jb9

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question about how folks approach new construction. More specifically, what is the general order of operations? My design is a 2-story with 2 1/2 bathrooms intentionally clustered around a single wet-wall/service cavity. There will be one horizontal branch and basically 3 bathroom groups each with a stack that will run vertically down to the horizontal branch (out the basement via an overhead sewer). Do plumbers start with locating the vent-roof penetration, then getting the main vertical stacks and (in my case) the horizontal branch aligned and in place before tackling the fixtures? In general, is there a best practice that most pro’s follow when approaching new construction? I understand that every project is probably different but I am just trying to understand how it all comes together in the context of all the subs.

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can work either direction. Most of the time on a new home I'm working down, starting with the vents.
If it's a slab on grade home, you have to start with the groundwork. The concrete then gets poured, the framers build the home, and you came back to top it out.
On large projects, you follow the framers upward. With cast iron piping, you tend to work upward.
But most of the time, if the home is framed first, and the ground work isn't in yet, I starting with the vents. In the 70's, I had a three man crew and we could rough plumb a three bath home in a day. Five a week.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks