PVC toilet flange to fit on the outside of a 3" PVC hub fitting?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by davetrouble, Mar 12, 2021.

1. davetrouble

davetrouble New Member

I am replacing a toilet flange for a 3" PVC hub fitting. I understand that one option is a PVC 3" spigot flange that is designed to fit inside a 3" PVC hub fitting. But it also occurred to me that a PVC 4" spigot flange that is designed to fit inside a 4" PVC hub fitting might also fit on the outside of a 3" PVC hub fitting. That is, as long as the wall thickness of the 3" hub fitting was 1/4". Now, when I measure the wall thickness of the particular 3" hub fitting that I am dealing it does indeed appear to be 1/4". However, I am not able to find anywhere where the wall thickness of a 3" PVC hub is specified to be 1/4" nor can i find anywhere where it is mentioned that a PVC 4" spigot flange will fit on the outside of a 3" PVC hub fitting. So I am wondering if this is a reasonable option or not?

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You have reinvented a common item. That is what the 4x3 pvc glued closet flange is-- can fit over a 3 inch pvc pipe, or inside a 4 inch pvc pipe.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

What the OP is describing is different, it would fit inside a 4" hub (a 4" spigot end closet flange) and possibly outside a 3" PVC hub (rather than use a 3" spigot flange inside the 3" hub).

My comments: hubs often have embossed printing on the outside that would interfere with the fit--best case is that you grind them off and then the fit happens to work. But I see no upside--just use a 3" spigot flange. The opening at the bottom of the toilet is smaller than 3" anyway.

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge and Reach4 like this.