PVC-to-metal leak at coupler

Users who are viewing this thread

Loneriver

Reaction score
Hi. I've used this forum often for my indoor plumbing issues but this is the first time I've tried it for an irrigation. Thank you in advance.

I have an underground pvc pipe that feeds an outdoor faucet. I dug up the area and see the following (pictures attached):
1. PVC pipe goes into a coupler
2. Coupler screws onto an old metal pipe that angles up to the metal piping for the faucet.
3. The pvc pipe itself has a leak probably 1/8" from the coupler (you can see it in the zoomed in picture).

Ideally, I would like to know the best way to fix the leak. I'm not sure what parts I would need. I am afraid to disturb the coupler because the metal pipe looks so corroded I wonder if I could get a new one on firmly.

If there is not an easy way to fix it then I may just cut the pvc pipe and cap it off, effectively abandoning the faucet. The problem there is that I cannot fully shut off the water supply because the ball valve off of our well doesn't fully close 100%. If I were to cut the pvc pipe there would still be some water coming out and I don't know if any cements could cure while wet if I put it on a cap.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_9374.JPG
    IMG_9374.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_9377.JPG
    IMG_9377.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 374

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The leak is the PVC coupling cracked or the iron pipe has corroded away. I would dig back further toward the iron pipe to see if it gets any better or worse. Since your shut off doesn't work 100% can you turn off the pump and depressurize the system. However, being the lowest point the entire household water will drain back to this hole.

To repair: After cutting out the PVC coupling, use a wire brush to see if there is any thread left to put on a new PVC coupling. Not sure if an iron coupling would work to get a better bite onto the old pipe. Use teflon tape here. If that works out then use any of the couplings below to splice in some new PVC to the old. I've use the slip coupling and the push on coupling together when my shovel cracked a irrigation pipe. It makes is very easy. HD may have these on an isle display rack as they are in my store. I haven't tried the flex coupling but it sure beats using four 90* elbows to repair pipe. These couplings are by Orbit.

To plug up the pipe I would use hydraulic cement (https://www.homedepot.com/p/DRYLOK-4-lb-Fast-Plug-Hydraulic-Cement-Mix-00917/100553093 and cap it off. To help stop the flow of water you can stuff a sponge into the pipe then fill the rest with cement and then cap it off. I do not think a Fernco end cap of 3/4" exist but there is a coupling with clamps then cap of one end with PVC pipe with an end cap. (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-3-4-in-x-3-4-in-PVC-Flexible-Coupling-P1056-075/100187989) If there is enough thread screw on an PVC or a galvanized end cap.

I just completed reworking some and repairing my sprinkler system. When you get into this little mess I remove the filter from my wet/dry vac and suck out the water and mud. It allows you to shoot a hose on it to get the pipe clean.
orbit-irrigation-repair-accessories-37784-64_145.jpg
white-homewerks-worldwide-pvc-fittings-511-53-34-34h-64_145.jpg
white-orbit-pvc-fittings-37776-64_145.jpg

FYI...Those pipe repair tapes and products will not work on a pressurized pipe.

Loneriver

Reaction score
Hi WorthFlorida. So sorry for the delay in thanking you. I meant to do it immediately but got distracted and forgot. Your response to my post was thorough and well stated. You even anticipated a followup question I was going to have regarding the repair tapes! I ended up just abandoning the faucet itself, cutting the PVC pipe and installing the slip coupling (no cement required) you recommended; actually the slip cap version, not the coupling. Best choice for me since it required no cement. Thank you again so much!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks