Pump or Pressure tank info

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate Green

Reaction score
Hello:

Just bought a house in the country with a well system. I currently have a 1/3HP Shallow Well jet Pump with a Amtrol WX-203 - 32 Gallon Pressure Tank. When I'm water the yard the pump seems to kick on right away and will not shut off the whole entire time I'm watering the lawn. When I'm taking a shower this also occurs. I can fill the sink up to do the dishes and it usually will take a little bit to turn on but then it will run for a while just to fill the pressure tank up. I decided to test it and filled up a bucket of water to see how many gallons it would take before the pressure tank turned on and then timed it to see how long it would take before it turned off. I got 7.3125 gallons of water before it turned on and it took about 4.25 minutes to before the tank was full and the pump to shut off.

Can someone please give me some advice as this is all new. Its very frustrating because the pump seems to run all the time. I check the air pressure in the tank and that was about 35PSI when drained. there is a pressure gauge on the pump that goes to 50PSI and shuts off and runs down to about 32 or so and turn on.

Also the water pressure could be better. Kitchen water runs very slow, its adequate but could be better. When I'm running the sprinkler it only goes about half the capacity that it could put out. Might spray 6 feet in the air when the sprinkler can do 12 with the right pressure.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Nate

Reach4

Reaction score
Just bought a house in the country with a well system. I currently have a 1/3HP Shallow Well jet Pump with a Amtrol WX-203 - 32 Gallon Pressure Tank. When I'm water the yard the pump seems to kick on right away and will not shut off the whole entire time I'm watering the lawn. When I'm taking a shower this also occurs. I can fill the sink up to do the dishes and it usually will take a little bit to turn on but then it will run for a while just to fill the pressure tank up. I decided to test it and filled up a bucket of water to see how many gallons it would take before the pressure tank turned on and then timed it to see how long it would take before it turned off. I got 7.3125 gallons of water before it turned on and it took about 4.25 minutes to before the tank was full and the pump to shut off.

Can someone please give me some advice as this is all new. Its very frustrating because the pump seems to run all the time. I check the air pressure in the tank and that was about 35PSI when drained. there is a pressure gauge on the pump that goes to 50PSI and shuts off and runs down to about 32 or so and turn on.
Sounds good and normal. While irrigating, it is good to have the pump run continuously.

Also the water pressure could be better. Kitchen water runs very slow, its adequate but could be better. When I'm running the sprinkler it only goes about half the capacity that it could put out. Might spray 6 feet in the air when the sprinkler can do 12 with the right pressure.
You could get a bigger pump and a bigger pressure tank if you wanted to have more GPM. Alternatively, you could get a bigger pump and a CSV.

Wondering

Reaction score
If you are running a 30/50 pressure switch you should have 26 psi air in your pressure tank. It is best for the pump to run constant while watering.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks