Pump Lost, Bill Not

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Shauna, Dec 6, 2018 at 7:41 AM.

1. Shauna

Shauna New Member

Recently I had an issue with my rural water well, which is approximately 15 years old. Water supply stopped, contacted Water well company, as they were lifting the pump from the well to check operation, it broke off. They were unable to retrieve the pump, utilizing fishing tools, etc. They informed me that they were unable to drop a new pump in the well, and in turn would have to dig a new well. Week later, I have a new well and a nice bill. I am questioning how this is my responsibility, the pump I would understand since we were at no time able to determine if the pump was operational before it broke off, but the cost a new well and pump? Should the companies insurance cover this?

2. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Unless they dropped it or something, the pump rusting off wasn't the pump companies fault. Maybe your insurance will cover it.

I don't understand why they couldn't just pound the old pump down a foot or two and set a new pump on top of it? I know of a well that has 5 pumps rusted off over the years, and we just push them down in the mud and install a new pump.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. VAWellDriller

VAWellDriller Active Member

Mud rotary well driller, pump installer
    Need a lot of details to answer your questions......happens sometimes around here like you said and a new well is needed. Could be 4" pvc that melted from hot motor....could be telescoping well and if you push pump down on the reduction it will block the water, there are several plausible reasons that could make sense.....this could be entirely bad luck and a price you have to pay for owning your water supply OR it could be the fault of the the pump man. A local third party well/pump company should probably have been involved if you have any doubts.