Pump kicks reset

Users who are viewing this thread

cameron97

Reaction score
I have a 1HP Grundfos 3 wire pump with a Franklin Control box I use this for irrigation when I turn it on usually you hear the relay kick in but you hear nothing and then after a few seconds the reset trips. Everything seem to check out good in control box start cap was a little leaky replaced it and no help, ohmed ot pump seems to be within specs. Don't know what to check next any ideas would be appreciated, is there a way to check pump without having control box in the loop. Any test i should do to pinpoint problem.:confused:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Won't work without a control box. If the start cap was leaking, your start relay is probably also bad. I would never pull a pump until I tried a control box I knew was good. You know what causes start relays and start caps to go bad? Too many starts! The first sign of too much cycling on and off is a blown start cap, start relay, and/or pressure switch. The next sign is a bad motor. There are ways to stop the cycling, and all these problems go away.

cameron97

Reaction score
Each leg to GRND is around 4.3M not sure what to do hate to sink money in a control box and it be the pump or visa versa anything elae to check to pinpoint bad piece.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It's considered good practice to replace the control box anytime a pump is replaced anyway, so you would not be out anything by trying it first.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I would never have a well without a backup control box. Do a search and you will find many choices fairly cheap.

Use a clamp on Ammeter and test the amp draw on L1 and L2 in those moments before reset trip.

If you hear the relay engage you must have a "deluxe" box with magnetic contactor [?] for backup and testing you can get a cheaper QD box for 70 or less bucks.