Pump decision for basement water storage tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Well, I liked this one too. It's rated 154' total head pressure. The pside-kick will be right by the tank...so no real head pressure caused by depth. So wouldn't 60 psi x 2.31 = 138 head, so this pump would fill the pressure tank when flow is 0. But then when I'm running water - at 50 psi running through the pipes, and let's say a 20' total height from the tank in the basement to the highest fixture in the house, that's (50 x 2.31) + 20 = 135' head. That pump will push 5gpm at that head. Thoughts on if that all makes sense?

https://www.amazon.com/Hallmark-Ind...3PR82TAD4X3&psc=1&refRID=THECYQXRN3PR82TAD4X3

No, not enough head. 150' = 64 PSI. You don't want to run a pump that close to it max pressure using a 40/60 switch. Use the 1HP and let the CSV make it pump a 1/2HP worth of water when needed.

stapf79

Reaction score
No, not enough head. 150' = 64 PSI. You don't want to run a pump that close to it max pressure using a 40/60 switch. Use the 1HP and let the CSV make it pump a 1/2HP worth of water when needed.

That makes sense. I'm gonna wait for the 1HP to get back in stock.

gary.hdez

Reaction score
New user here. I know this thread is over 2 years old, but I ran across it in doing some research and I think it may work, but would like some input. We bought our house a little over a year ago. It is on a well and has a whole house RO system with a 175g storage tank. The house is fed from the tank by a Grundfos MQ 3-45 that finally gave up the ghost. I was just going to replace it, but the reviews for this model, and it's replacement model are not very good despite the high price point. It seems like the submersible pump with the PK1A would be a viable replacement option. I would also like to replace the storage tank with a larger one at the same time as there are five of us and if we shower consecutively that tank runs out (we have 2 girls that take very long showers). My concern is that the tank is the basement and we do have two bathrooms on the second floor that are pretty much directly over head of the tank. Would that 1hp pump that was referenced in the earlier posts be sufficient? I have linked it down below. I am not worried about the installation as I am very handy and do everything myself.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A larger storage tank is usually a good idea. I would also use a 10 gallon size tank with the PK1A kit, because with a two story house I recommend 50/70 pressure switch setting which needs a slightly larger pressure tank. The 1HP Hallmark can make like 89 PSI, so it will easily do 50/70.
Cistern Storage Tank with Submersible Booster Pump .png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks