Pulling and replacing old water heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pulling and replacing old water heaters. You never know how old the water heater is going to be when you get "the call".
In condominiums, many want replacement at 10 years to prevent water damage by a failed water heater. If you get ten years without a problem, you done well. And the neighbors on the floor below are happy that they're not reconstructing their place because your tank failed, trying to save a buck or two.
It's hard to say how long a tank will last, electric tanks tend to last a little longer than gas tanks with the added flue going through the center of the tank acting as a chimney for the fire chamber. Heating and cooling of the water inside will change pressures, flexing the inner tube, and over time the welds can break. Maybe it's a slow leak, and then again maybe it's catastrophic and all Hell breaks loose. You certainly hope that it doesn't happen while you are away from the home and not able to shut things off quickly. The last two gas tanks I installed didn't make it to 15 years of age. Luckily I had put a pan with a 1" drain under it, and the really large leak had a place to go without ruining carpets downstairs.

So what do the water heaters look like that you are pulling out for replacement?

wh-1996-rusted-01.jpg

This one was from 1996, I can't even imagine what the rest of the home must have looked like.

wh-1996-rusted-02.jpg

Is that soft copper supplying the gas? You would never see that where I'm at.

van-with-wh-helper.jpg

Is that a helper in the back of the van? What.............?

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Pulling and replacing old water heaters. You never know how old the water heater is going to be when you get "the call".
In condominiums, many want replacement at 10 years to prevent water damage by a failed water heater. If you get ten years without a problem, you done well. And the neighbors on the floor below are happy that they're not reconstructing their place because your tank failed, trying to save a buck or two.
It's hard to say how long a tank will last, electric tanks tend to last a little longer than gas tanks with the added flue going through the center of the tank acting as a chimney for the fire chamber. Heating and cooling of the water inside will change pressures, flexing the inner tube, and over time the welds can break. Maybe it's a slow leak, and then again maybe it's catastrophic and all Hell breaks loose. You certainly hope that it doesn't happen while you are away from the home and not able to shut things off quickly. The last two gas tanks I installed didn't make it to 15 years of age. Luckily I had put a pan with a 1" drain under it, and the really large leak had a place to go without ruining carpets downstairs.

So what do the water heaters look like that you are pulling out for replacement?

View attachment 89389

This one was from 1996, I can't even imagine what the rest of the home must have looked like.

View attachment 89388

Is that soft copper supplying the gas? You would never see that where I'm at.

View attachment 89387

Is that a helper in the back of the van? What.............?
I have a co-worker who had 2 floods in six months. Once was the hot water heater. I think the second was one of the kids doing something with the toilet ... her insurance company was not enthused.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
You just have to prepare for the worst... I always throw a pan under the water heater and try to get it to
a nearby drain .... or at least put an adaptor on the pan so someone can hook up a hose to it and drain it outside when it leaks.... a thermal expansion tank can help extend the life of a heater too.....

putting a cheap water alarm in the pan is also a wise thing to do .... this will wake you up when the
water heater decides to take a dump and flood your home at 3am in the morning....

Its not fun to get first thing out of bed and your feet land in water that has flooded your home:p:p

1671738573320.png

Clog

Reaction score
With a water detector alarm...

What good does it do if nobody's home?

What if they are NOT on vacation, and didn't plan to not be home, but life happens?

I rigged up a water detector in the pan that shuts off the water, and shuts off the gas, and still works when the power is off, as it is connected to an uninterruptable power supply.

No way do I want to wiggle into a crawl space to rebuild the floor girders, floor joists, subfloor, and surface floor for hot water tank failure in a utility closet in the middle of a home again.

The previous installer made no provision for what to do with the water once it reached the drain hole in the side of the pan, the bottom of which is only about 3/8" above the bottom of the pan.

I've tested the leak detection sensitivity. One drop of water, the water supply to the tank shuts off, the gas valve to the heater shuts off, and the only amount of water that can leak is what is in the tank. No more city pressure. Since there is little electrical load, the UPS can last for several days. It has an alarm that will alert anyone in the house that something isn't right in Denmark.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com

What good does it do if nobody's home?

What if they are NOT on vacation, and didn't plan to not be home, but life happens?

I rigged up a water detector in the pan that shuts off the water, and shuts off the gas, and still works when the power is off, as it is connected to an uninterruptable power supply.

No way do I want to wiggle into a crawl space to rebuild the floor girders, floor joists, subfloor, and surface floor for hot water tank failure in a utility closet in the middle of a home again.

The previous installer made no provision for what to do with the water once it reached the drain hole in the side of the pan, the bottom of which is only about 3/8" above the bottom of the pan.

I've tested the leak detection sensitivity. One drop of water, the water supply to the tank shuts off, the gas valve to the heater shuts off, and the only amount of water that can leak is what is in the tank. No more city pressure. Since there is little electrical load, the UPS can last for several days. It has an alarm that will alert anyone in the house that something isn't right in Denmark.

Well, the pan and cheap water alarm is better than nothing at all.....
and it sounds like you went all out to design your own special system and at what cost...??

Yes you rigged up your own system and that is great but what about everybody else who
does not know or want to go to that extreme??

Most folks dont want to spend a dime more than they have to,
and I have seen these tight wads living in 5 story condos and could
care less about what happens to the people under them...

so what is the average person supposed to do??

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score

What good does it do if nobody's home?................. something isn't right in Denmark.
Just about every home security system has leak or water detectors that are wireless. The sensor use Z-Wave to the Ring Alarm system and the Ring Security base is connected to your internet connection. Notifying your home insurance company may result in a small reduction in the premium.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks