PRV replacement, how often? Pressure Reducing Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How often do PRV's get replaced in a home? Good question. Sometimes when they fail to reduce pressure. Replacement or new parts at that time, assuming you have the parts. It's normally easier for a plumber to show up with a new PRV and just replace the old one. Time is money you know. And can you even find parts for some of these? I have also had homes where the screen was so packed that if you were in the shower and someone turned on the kitchen sink downstairs, it would cause the shower to drop down to the tub spout. Yikes!

prv-replacement-terrylove-02.jpg

Picture sent by a homeowner to me.

prv-replacement-terrylove-01.jpg

And a new PRV with unions. I hope that make the replacement easier next time.

pressure-gauge-hosebib.jpg

prv-install-crawl.jpg

pressure-gauge-ashcroft.jpg

Last edited:

DIYorBust

Reaction score
One day I woke up to no heat on my hot water loop. Went downstairs, and the top had blown off the PRV. Lucky I had a floor drain in my boiler area, because water was just shooting straight up and soaking everything. Put in a new one, and every time I see it, it scares me. Would love to know the answer to how often I need to replace it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
around my area Terry if the valve is 15 years old its shot. of course I check it but if its never been replaced 90 percent bad. Rebuilding to me not really worth it but I've rebuilt a few, definitely can be worth while for DIY to either change or rebuild.
BTW rebuild kits are never on the shelf in my experience. can be ordered and online probably as good or better than supply houses Time is money yes I've found even as an easy job the price often seems high because time is involved beyond just the install itself

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So other than the screen clogging up, what is the typical old-age failure mode for the PRV? Spring fatigue?

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
So other than the screen clogging up, what is the typical old-age failure mode for the PRV? Spring fatigue?

Cheers, Wayne
Diaphragm, and the rubber washer , From a labor standpoint most guys don't tinker much or really diagnose beyond it being "bad" unless its relatively new.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Diaphragm, and the rubber washer , From a labor standpoint most guys don't tinker much or really diagnose beyond it being "bad" unless its relatively new.
Diaphragm wears, causing a hole, which renders the PRV useless? Or diaphragm stiffens and it doesn't respond properly or as quickly?

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think a fair number of people would get "low pressure" during flow fixed by cleaning the PRV filter screen.

I note that Terry mounted the new PRV with the screen cap easily accessible.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
Off topic, but the type of NH coupling shown in the picture is lousy. Note the buckling.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Diaphragm wears, causing a hole, which renders the PRV useless? Or diaphragm stiffens and it doesn't respond properly or as quickly?

Cheers, Wayne
not so sure Wayne beside diaphragm leaking if it gets stiff or not . they get noisy. I've experienced more trouble with excessive pressure than other problems plugged screen as reach 4 has suggested hasn't been my issue much but a good thing to look for

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks