Problem with FluidMaster Valve - Did I make a purchase mistake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Moondoggy

Reaction score
I recently had to replace the old valve in my toilet tank with a new one because the old value was not filling the bowl up with water when flushed. When went to the store to buy a new one I chose a FluidMaster as opposed to a Korky value as the FluidMaster was a bit cheaper and I had prior experience with installing FluidMaster valves and never had problems with any of them.

The install of the new valve was flawless and after 30 days I thought I was all set until about 2 weeks ago when the FluidMaster stopped filling the bowl. Looking in the tank I discovered that the tank was low on water and when I barely touched the float valve switch the tank started filling. This behavior continued for a couple of days until I moved the float valve switch up and down a bunch of time and then things started working normally again until yesterday when once again the FluidMaster again stopped filling the bowl and tank.

Since this happened a second time I called FluidMaster and the tech told me that this was a "common problem" and that sediment had clogged up the hole in some rubber part in the valve. The tech told me that I needed to turn the water off, pop the blue cap off the valve, remove the rubber part and clean it, place a glass over the value, turn the water on and let it run for 10 seconds or so, turn the water off and reassemble the unit and turn the water back on. Well, once again instead of doing as the tech instructed I again moved the float valve switch up and down a bunch of times and again things started working normally.

So my question is to all of you more knowledgeable people (grin) is whether this behavior for FluidMaster units to clog up like this is really a common problem? If so is this a one time clean up of the rubber part or will this be an ongoing issue? Since I was now able to get the FluidMaster to work simply by moving the valve switch up and down a bunch of times without cleaning the rubber part, do you think that this is the problem the tech was referring to or something else? Did I make a mistake buying the less expensive FluidMaster over the Korky and would the Korky work better than the FluidMaster? Bottom line is that I'm not a plumber, I'm a consumer who just wants a working toilet and not have to deal with issues. If a Korky would work better than the FluidMaster I'll go buy one. Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Well, once again instead of doing as the tech instructed I again moved the float valve switch up and down a bunch of times and again things started working normally.
Why? If you have trouble understanding that, I think there would be a Youtube video that shows you. I think sediment could bother a Korky also.

I see you typed this on an Apple.

Moondoggy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. My concern is not with following the instructions that were given or with following the instructions on YouTube. My concern is why, when the water intake is fresh water from the city water system the FluidMaster would clog up with sediment? Is there really that much sediment in a city water system that clogging of a FluidMaster valve is considered to be a "common problem"? Are these FluidMaster valves that sensitive that they can only work for 30 days before the clog or does it sound like this is a different problem since moving the float valve switch up and down a bunch of times caused the valve to work again without cleaning the rubber piece? What I'm really trying to determine is whether I got a bad valve to begin and if so, whether the Korky value would provide me with better results.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there really that much sediment in a city water system that clogging of a FluidMaster valve is considered to be a "common problem"?
Have you inspected your aerator screens, by chance?

Plus, you old flex supply hose could have deteriorated.

Moondoggy

Reaction score
I have not checked any aerator screens on my sinks but I don't think that the hose could be deteriorated as the house is only 3 years old.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I like the Korky, but sooooo many plumbers like the Fluidmaster that it's hard to believe that normal sediment is a "common problem" on these valves, especially if you're not seeing it in a glass of water from your municipal water system. Professional plumbers can't make a living if something they install ends up requiring them to come back because the toilet "isn't fixed". Our founder, Terry, has been installing Korkys for years, but just as many plumbers, if not more, install the Fluidmaster. Price may have something to do with that, but the lower price wouldn't be enough to make plumbers use them if they were not reliable. (Our oil heat dealer switched from Grundfos and Taco water circulating pumps to Wilo garbage a few years ago because the manufacturer was offering great deals. The dealer switched back after one heating season because the reliability wasn't there and he was getting killed on contract service calls.)

The difference in price is because the Fluidmaster is hecho en Mexico while the Korky is Made in the US. Maybe you just got a valve that snuck past quality control during a siesta, when it shouldn't have. If the problem happens again, see if Fluidmaster will replace it. There's nothing wrong with sticking with what you know.

The Korky has a little strainer device in it to trap some of what might be damaging sediment, but I haven't seen any comparisons that indicate that it stands up to sediment better than the Fluidmaster. What I do know is that we have seven Korkys in our old house in the country. When there was a significant fire in an old mansion in our country neighborhood a year or so ago, it took many pumpers to put the thing out, and myriad bright-yellow five-inch hoses were running up the streets from every hydrant in the neighborhood and beyond. Needless to say, this stirred up a ton of sediment in the otherwise lazily-used water mains in our area. Our water was brown while they were fighting the fire and for a half-day afterwards. The Korkys didn't skip a beat. I pulled the strainer from one to see how much stuff it had trapped, and it wasn't hardly anything, so I didn't go and try to clean all of them. And no issues then or since.

Since YOU don't see any sediment actively in your water, my own feeling is that the sediment issue is pure fantasy from the guy you talked to. Just call them and tell them nicely but firmly that you think you got a bad valve, that you've cleaned it and it still sticks and you think it's time for them to send you a replacement. And if they are jerks about replacing it, you know which valve to buy next.

(One thing about Korky is that they frankly are almost too nice about stuff. I have never had an issue when I have asked them for some reasonable accommodation that they haven't gone above and beyond and just mailed me what I wanted. And everybody you talk to is at their headquarters in Wisconsin, so I love their accents.)

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I do not know how many thousands of Fluidmaster valves I have installed, but I do not think I have EVER had one do that. I have had them get sediment in the riser pipe and had to break it up with a wire, but NEVER anything with the cap getting plugged up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks