Problem Removing Old Faucet Cartridge

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DC Newbie, Mar 17, 2020.

1. DC Newbie

DC Newbie New Member

Bathroom faucet developed a slow drip recently, and I found that the cold side would not shut off and also had extremely low flow. No idea how long ago, if ever, the cartridge was replaced, but it seems like the culprit. This is an American Standard faucet. I am having no luck removing the cartridge though...seems the hard water has really fused it to the stem. I've tried penetrating oil, and applying liberal amounts of torque, with no luck. Had tongue and groove pliers securing the stem while I tried to turn cartridge with slip joint pliers, but it didn't budge.

Soooo...now what? Appreciate any help/guidance you all can provide.

thanks

Attached Files:

2. Marlinman

Marlinman Active Member

You will probably need to remove that end body from the lavatory to extract it. Put the end body into a vice. Instead of using pliers use a ratchet with a 7/8" deep socket.

MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. DC Newbie

DC Newbie New Member

Bingo, that did the trick! Thanks so much. Ended up able to extract the cartridge without removing the rest of the fixture.