Price Pfister valve can't turn water off

Users who are viewing this thread

bolt929

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm having some problems with installing a price pfister venturi shower set in my bathroom relating to the ability to control hot, cold, and water.

In following the instructions, I mount the valve such that the tabs/notches are facing down. However, when I turn on the water, I am unable to shut the water off by turning the valve. When I turn the valve from one extreme to the other, I get temperatures of cold - hot - cold again (without being able to shut off the water completely). The valve is one complete piece as opposed to the old shower design, which had separate valve and cartridge pieces.

I didn't think much at the time, but in disassembling the shower (over 20 years old), I noticed the cartridge was rotated 90 degrees, which is probably how the original owners (or how the house was built) allowed for the water to be shut off and have proper temperature control. This also explains perhaps why there was so much leaking (and corrosion) to begin with.

Is this a normal? What are recommended steps from here? Is this a weird flaw with how the plumbing of the house was originally installed?

Attached images is from my old shower and cartridge from the new price pfister cartridge.

Attachments

• DSC_0176.JPG
    DSC_0176.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 385
  • DSC_0175.JPG
    DSC_0175.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 620
  • DSC_0177.JPG
    DSC_0177.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 373
  • DSC_0178.JPG
    DSC_0178.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
Last edited:

bolt929

Reaction score
Thanks, you were right.

I should have known better - the shapes of the outlets are different! The product is misleading in that the price pfister box indicates compatibility to Ox8 valves, but there are technically two Ox8 valves -> one that is older (ovaly) and one that is newer (circular).

Am I able to still use some of the more modern designs so long as I purchase the separate cartridge that fits the older Ox8 design? In other words, can I have an old Ox8 back-end cartridge with the newer Ox8 front-end designs?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks