Preventing freezing of an exposed section of sewage ejector discharge line...

Users who are viewing this thread

Foxwaves

Reaction score
I have to run a discharge line from a sewage ejector to a septic tank. About 20' of this is vertically up a stone bluff and I'm looking for freeze-prevention ideas? And advice? I'm hoping to avoid building an insulated box, but not sure what would be best. I don't think heat tape or that sort of thing is practical. Any plumbers out there that work on bluff-side homes? Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Must be a hefty ejector pump, since few would handle that head and still deliver good volume. NOTHING other than "adding heat to the pipe" will "prevent" freezing. You either use heat tape or drain the water out of the pipe after every use.

Foxwaves

Reaction score
Must be a hefty ejector pump, since few would handle that head and still deliver good volume. NOTHING other than "adding heat to the pipe" will "prevent" freezing. You either use heat tape or drain the water out of the pipe after every use.

Thanks for your reply. I made a mistake in my first post: the exposed vertical part up the bluff is going to be just a few feet...maybe 5' or so. The rest of the way to the septic tank is about 11' more of rise, so about 16' of head. The pump is a typical 1/2 hp. What do you think of the one I'm considering:? http://www.sumppumpsdirect.com/Zoeller-915-0005-Sewage-Pump/p61880.html

A bit more research seems to have a method that solves the problem simply: omit the check valve. After the pump shuts off, less than 5 gallons will flow back into the grinder-pump basin, leaving the discharge line empty. An apparent added benefit is backwashing the pump impeller. Sound reasonable to you? I want a happy customer.

Foxwaves

Reaction score
Are you thinking that there will be liquid in the pipe when it's not in use (not pumping)?

Well, with the usual installation, the check valve would leave the line loaded to the septic tank all of the time. But I'm thinking of just omitting the check valve and letting whatever doesn't make it into the tank just fall back into the basin, leaving the line empty. Thanks for your reply.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That could also get expensive, since you'd be essentially pumping the waste sometimes, more than once? If it say held 10g before the float switch opened...you added a quart, it would pump, having to refill the line, at least half of that would then fall back into the basin without a check valve for you to pump again the next time, making the potential for it to have to run much more frequently, wearing things out much quicker.

How big is the basin?

I take it that they do not want to deal with burying things below the frost line.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the discharge covers the end of the pipe it will ALL be "sucked" back into the pit. A check valve after the rise with a vacuum relief valve ahead of it will just drain the water out of the riser back to the pit and whatever is in the horizontal pipe will flow to the outlet.

Foxwaves

Reaction score
That could also get expensive, since you'd be essentially pumping the waste sometimes, more than once? If it say held 10g before the float switch opened...you added a quart, it would pump, having to refill the line, at least half of that would then fall back into the basin without a check valve for you to pump again the next time, making the potential for it to have to run much more frequently, wearing things out much quicker.

How big is the basin?

I take it that they do not want to deal with burying things below the frost line.

Hello jadnashua...There would be re-pumping of material, and I agree that's not ideal. The basin is 18"x30" which probably is 33 gallon capacity, but I'll have to check on that before ordering. With a grinder pump I'll run a smaller 1-1/4" pipe (maybe 1-1/2") which holds .064 gallons per foot, or 4.8 gallons in a 75' line. That would be dumping about 1/5 of the apx. total basin capacity back into the basin.

The available location for the basin in on a rocky mountainside, and to bury it would mean going down into solid rock. The same is true for a portion of the discharge line. The homeowner understandably is concerned about expenses, and I'm concerned about getting a good job in a difficult situation. Thanks for replying.

Foxwaves

Reaction score
IF the discharge covers the end of the pipe it will ALL be "sucked" back into the pit. A check valve after the rise with a vacuum relief valve ahead of it will just drain the water out of the riser back to the pit and whatever is in the horizontal pipe will flow to the outlet.

Hello hj...The discharge pipe will be emptying at the top of a concrete septic tank, probably 750 or 100 gallons, so it should freely drop in as long as the field line is doing its job. I'll most likely not install any kind of valve on the discharge. Thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks