Pressure Relief Valve Plumbing in 2015 UPC

Users who are viewing this thread

Zane Bridgers

Reaction score
Hi everyone -

I was wondering what the 2015 UPC mandates for plumbing from a tank water heater’s pressure relief valve?

I believe this is addressed in the 2015 UPC Chapter 6
Section 608.5 Discharge Piping

As I understand, a pan is no longer approved: “Discharge from a relief valve into a water heater pan shall be prohibited.”

The piping must be approved for high heat (no regular pvc).

It must empty into a drain system separate from the dwv system or drain outside.

It must have an air gap before draining outside in cold climates.

Must not drain where it can cause injury.

—————————————-

So, since we are slab on grade and don’t have a drain, how does an outside drain look with the air gap? Does the WH drain to a pain which then drains outside?

What kind of fittings go outside?

The WH is on an exterior wall that separates it from the front porch. Seems this might not be an approved drainage location?

Thank you all very much! I hope this can help others as well!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my city, most WHs are located in garages, so we use 3/4" metal pipe from the T&P valve to the outside. Drain pipe has to end no higher than 6" above grade.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks