Pressure reducing valves

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by aczar, Aug 25, 2020.

1. aczar

aczar New Member

Hello!

I need a pressure reducing valve as I've just discovered that my service line clocks in at around 95 psi, which I believe would explain a couple of (cheap) garden hoses blistering.

I called around the local plumbing supply stores and was quoted a pretty consistent ~$300 (Canadian) for a 3/4" service line and operating range of ~20 to 75 psi.

When I check the big box stores I'm seeing prices closer to $100 +/- %25.

Why the big difference? Is it as simple as a combination plumbing supply stores being a bit more expensive, as well as higher quality parts?

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    It's more about the discount they give to their contractors and not to homeowners.
    It takes them a lot more time if they have to explain things to those that are not in the business. A contractor faxes in an order and they may be twenty items on the order, and no talking or advice needed.

aczar likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

aczar likes this.
  4. aczar

aczar New Member

Thanks Terry!

So being the homeowner, I'd be better off buying at big box stores? Are there any particular PRV manufacturers that you would care to recommend (or avoid)?