Possible Design Flaw in Toto Drake Toilets: Consider Before Purchasing

Users who are viewing this thread

Lhb

Reaction score
Dean P, sorry to hear that you are having the same problem. When I contacted Toto and explained the problem, they were nice enough to send a Toto brand seat, but the problem remained the same. Other than replacing the toilets, there appears to be no solution. My wife has clean the bottom of the seat after each use (a step that should not be necessary). This problem is causing the bottom of the seats to slowly deteriorate. They will need to be replaced earlier than they should have been.

My wife has noticed that a stronger stream causes more splash than a weaker stream. Let me also reaffirm that my wife knows how to use a toilet. This problem exists only on the Toto toilets installed in my house. This was not a problem with the previous toilets. One of the previous was a standard size and one was an elongated model, so I do not believe that the elongated model is the problem.
Hello,
I was wondering if Toto ever resolved your issue. We are having the same exact issue with our new Toto toilet. We contacted Toto and they are claiming that it is not a defect but we are convinced that it is and refuse to accept the fact that we have to wipe the underside of the toilet seat every single time it is used by a female. This is outrageous.

Coco

Reaction score
I registered just to comment on this issue. We just ordered a Toto Drake as part of a master bath remodel (and a Kohler Wellworth for a powder bathroom) and this thread caused me some concern as a female. But then I read the comment set out below expressing the same issue experienced by a woman with the Kohler Wellworth. We have 3 Wellworth toilets with an elongated bowl and I have never ever had any splashback with the Wellworth or any other toilet. I also did some general research and splashback appears to occur at times for both men and women on all kinds of toilets. There is even research on this issue. There are all kinds of possible causes, so while some people may have an issue with any particlar toilet I do not think it is caused by a design defect. Bottom line, I am sticking with the Toto.

Just got a Kohler Wellworth. I'm a female and it splashes back when I pee - a problem I've not experienced with any other toilet. I saw a thread on here "women friendly toilets" about women having splashback issues with the Toto Drake and I'm wondering if any women have had the same problems with the Wellworth. It seems to have the same elongated bowl and the lip at the water line.

Brad Anesi

DPDISXR4Ti
Reaction score
We just ordered a Toto Drake as part of a master bath remodel...
Feel free to page back to my post from May 2021. For my wife, using the different seat made all the difference in the world. I think it changes the angle just enough to resolve the problem, for those that experience a problem. Here we are a couple years later, and my wife has never brought up the issue again. Perhaps the Toto seat could even be used on other brands, but just make sure you get the "right" Toto seat and verify that it bolts up to your toilet.

johnnytoilet

Reaction score
I also created an account just to weigh in here. One would think this is a campaign orchestrated by Toto competitors, but it’s not.

Just installed a Toto Drake CST776 (I think). Definite splashback, but learning to adjust my position resolved it. The Toto bowl and seat are definitely designed differently than the toilets I’ve used before, less room up front, more sloped, and the seat that came with it seats you up further. I’ll try ordering the SS154#01 seat to see if it makes a difference.

My guess is most folks don’t have this issue or they adjust how they use it to minimize.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks