Please help us - we're really worried about our washer lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Showqq

Reaction score
When my family and I went to leave for a short vacation yesterday I went around the house to turn the water off as I usually do. When I want to turn off the hot water line going to the washing machine and snapped off. Water was shooting everywhere and it took me a few seconds to figure out what I should do to turn the water off. I ran to the water heater and turned off the lever that turns off the hot water. And then the hot water stop flowing. My hand was really burned from the hot water but I got the area cleaned up. We almost canceled the vacation but I felt that the water had stopped for me turning it off at the hot water heater. Here's a picture of what snapped off. Is there a way that I can repair this without cutting open the wall? I'm a mechanic by trade so I have tools and skills. I've just never worked on anything plumbing related before. Please help us as we recover from vacation tomorrow and my family will not have any hot water. Thanks for any tips.

20210602_044943.jpg
Screenshot_20210603-202605_Wyze.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Without a picture of how the valves mount in the box it's hard to say.
However, cutting drywall would not be that big of a deal. If it's copper or CPVC, you can use a Sharkbit or push-type fitting to install a new valve with some pipe.
Sometimes what you have threads off, sometimes it doesn't. Often those are soldered to pipe, in which case you're cutting some drywall.

Showqq

Reaction score
Without a picture of how the valves mount in the box it's hard to say.
However, cutting drywall would not be that big of a deal. If it's copper or CPVC, you can use a Sharkbit or push-type fitting to install a new valve with some pipe.
Sometimes what you have threads off, sometimes it doesn't. Often those are soldered to pipe, in which case you're cutting some drywall.

Thanks for the reply! A few questions:

1. If I ever had such an emergency again and it was the COLD water line where would I turn the water off? The hot water heater had a lever for only the hot water to be turned off.

2. So if the valve is screwed in and it has been soldered to the pipe how do I get it off? Hand saw or sawzall?

3. Is their a video I can possibly watch to familiarize me with all of this?

I am going to work on this Saturday night when I get home so I may post the photo of the valve in more detail before I get to work. I don't think I can get a plumber Sunday morning and I need a way for my family to have hot water.

Thank you all on this forum.

Reach4

Reaction score
f I ever had such an emergency again and it was the COLD water line where would I turn the water off? The hot water heater had a lever for only the hot water to be turned off.
Are you saying you don't know how to turn off the water for the whole house? You need to know that, and if you have no valve, get one installed.

So if the valve is screwed in and it has been soldered to the pipe how do I get it off? Hand saw or sawzall?
I like the Ridgid 101 "tubing cutter" for copper, if you have the clearance.

A plumber could have this all done quickly, including installing a whole house valve if no working valve is already there. I am not a plumber.

Showqq

Reaction score
Since I've been gone I have a security cam trained on the broken faucet so I can watch it. No water is coming out of it or the water heater. So for now I am ok.

I'm thinking I need to get a plumber to come out on Sunday. I just am a mechanic and am wondering can I use those skills for this and learn something at the same time.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm thinking I need to get a plumber to come out on Sunday.
Usually Sunday is usually a premium, but if it means you don't need to take a day of, that could be worth it.

So what you want is a new/repaired supply box for the washer, and to locate or install a working shutoff for the house.

You can repair the drywall after the work.

Showqq

Reaction score
Thanks. Can you recommend a link to the part that I need that I can procure it?

JerryR

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! A few questions:

1. If I ever had such an emergency again and it was the COLD water line where would I turn the water off? The hot water heater had a lever for only the hot water to be turned off.

2. So if the valve is screwed in and it has been soldered to the pipe how do I get it off? Hand saw or sawzall?

3. Is their a video I can possibly watch to familiarize me with all of this?

I am going to work on this Saturday night when I get home so I may post the photo of the valve in more detail before I get to work. I don't think I can get a plumber Sunday morning and I need a way for my family to have hot water.

Thank you all on this forum.

You should have a main shut off to the house. When you get your plumber to replace the washing machine shut off box have them show you how to shut off the water to the house. There should be a shut off right after the water meter. If you don’t have one easily accessible have the plumber install one. It beats turning off all toilet, washer, sink supplies.

We are in Florida and don’t have issues with freezing like you have, so our shut off is outside. It’s a simple 1/4 turn ball valve. Every time we leave the house overnight or longer we shut off the blue main handle in the picture below. I turn it off easily with my foot. I also shut off electric to the electric hot water heater.

fh8hAg5l.jpg

Showqq

Reaction score
When I get home I am going to check if that is outside of my house. If it had been the cold water line I wouldn't have known how to turn it off.

I am hoping the valve can simple be screwed on and off. I will keep everyone updated because you all have been so helpful.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I get home I am going to check if that is outside of my house. If it had been the cold water line I wouldn't have known how to turn it off.

I am hoping the valve can simple be screwed on and off. I will keep everyone updated because you all have been so helpful.
You wont have a shut off like that in Denver. In Florida and other non freezing areas yes. but do find out basements are very common in Co but assuming you dont have one. city water ? long meter key might be needed but by all means find shut off . might take a few minutes to look for it

Showqq

Reaction score
I will be home tonight but now that I think about it I think I need one of those long water key poles. So if that is the case the only way to turn the water off in an emergency or if I go on vacation is to go outside to the curb and turn it off?

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks