Please help selecting a fixed and hand held shower implementation

Users who are viewing this thread

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I realize this is not a query of something broken. But with my headache and tired eyes from Googling, I am hoping this is an OK question.

I have a walk in shower for my wife's bath. It was never finished. The walls are covered with cement board There is a rough-in for an obsolete Hansgrohe single fixed shower. My design was always for a wheelchair accessible shower.

I have not found a set of components to work with the rough-in. The installed device is long discontinued and does not support a handheld. I will probably need to cut a big hole in the cement board and put in something completely different. There is a single pipe from the rough-in to the fixed shower coming out of the wall.

My wife has been diagnosed with Parkinson's and I am trying to build a walk/roll in shower and bathroom for her. With all the ADA bells and whistles. She already has a problem just walking. A wheelchair is inevitable.

I have spent a seriously large amount of time trying to figure out what I need.

My parameters.

Fixed shower head using 1.5 GPM technology. State of the art seems to be shower heads with a significant number of spray patterns with flow adjustments and air infusion to improve impact results with lower flow rates. Pretty much what I also want in both the hand held and fixed head. Water pressure is not a limiting issue. I run 40-60 for house pressure. There is significant buffering. Thermostatic and anti-scald are a requirement. Ideally a low height control for temperature and flow.

Spending days on the internet, I have found a range from fraud, to hideously expensive, to completely inconsistent reviews for the same equipment..

I need easily accessible controls for the handheld and fixed head. This means not requiring someone to stand to use the shower.

I would really appreciate getting the herd knowledge of this issue. Most likely there are various personal favorites. That is just fine if you could note what the particular features cause you to recommend a certain product/model.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
doan_shower_3.jpg

This one is by HansGrohe with a handheld shower head.

doan_shower_1.jpg

You can run either head, or both at the same time.

hand-held-terrylove-01.jpg

And old shower that still is a two handle but with new grab bar and handheld.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you have not yet done any tile or waterproofing, it should not be much trouble to open up the wall and redo the rough. Pick a brand you can easily get replacemt parts for. You will need a pressure/volume control valve and a 3-way diverter valve to switch between the fixed head and hand shower. Delta, Moen, and Grohe are all common here, and the price of the trim can vary wildly depending on what design you decide to go with.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I think I rambled too much. I have looked at a LOT of shower components/systems (including marketing BS). Including some sites that appear to be fraudulent. At this point I have decided to go ahead and cut pieces out of the cement board and start from scratch, replacing the existing rough-in. The shower wall do have water proofing applied and ready for tile. Tile is getting closer.

What I need at this point is to find the best performing combination of fixed and handheld sprayers. Specifically, high pressure sprays and excellent multiple shower patterns/intensity. Preferably 2 gpm or less (e.g., 1.5 gpm). They should be thermostatically controlled and deal with fixed and handheld devices. That is easy. I really would like to see expert opinions for the top performing devices so I can evaluate them. Hansgrohe was my initial target. Real pricey. But I am not adverse to expensive. I just want good equipment for my wife to use from a wheelchair or worse. From research it appears there are multiple systems of equivalent/similar performance. That is what I need.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks