Please help me find the correct shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

TAPlumbing

Reaction score
Second attempt here. My last post got zero replies. Please help!

I’m a DIYer trying to renovate my second floor bathroom. Not totally inexperienced, but also not totally experienced.

There’s an existing 2-inch threaded copper pipe that used to receive the old shower drain. I knocked all about the pipe and it seems like it’s in good enough condition to reuse.

I’m planning on using the kerdi system over a new mortar bed, but I need a new floor drain. Kerdi has a drain, but I don’t think it works with the existing copper pipe.

Please let me know what else I can provide in order to get some help! Thank you!

1D9BC8B8-B4C2-4B73-B25B-638FD4F45A43.jpeg
F302E344-E3B4-4231-BE02-4F6D33783C16.jpeg
A4CF1AB6-7E11-4546-AB83-B456990842D8.jpeg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That "copper" drain pipe doesn't look like any I have ever seen. It looks more like an iron pipe. Most drains will work with it, but it may have to be cut off to the proper height.

TAPlumbing

Reaction score
That "copper" drain pipe doesn't look like any I have ever seen. It looks more like an iron pipe. Most drains will work with it, but it may have to be cut off to the proper height.

You were correct! I used a wire brush to clean the threads and then used a magnet to confirm it’s NOT copper. Thank you!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Threaded Female pvc adapters are sometimes iffy if they are tightened too much, eventually they may crack. If you have access from below, you could use a shielded connector to make the conversion, or use the Kerdi conversion drain after screwing in the base of a conventional clamping drain.

One issue with any bonded membrane shower drain is that the riser must be very plumb or the large outer diameter of the drain exaggerates the error.

Cjlambert

Red-Seal Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Try to see which way the horizontal pipe runs in the joist cavity. Cut the floor open from joist to joist (so you can easily replace it after), then cut the old trap out. Use an MJ/fernco band to switch to ABS, and install a new ABS trap. Leave the vertical piece (which will protrude the floor) unglued until the time comes to install the drain body, at which point you can get an exact measure, cut your piece, glue it into the drain body, then glue the other end into the trap beneath the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks