Plastic piece stuck on pipe- trying to change tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

jennyr

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to install a new tub spout. I was able to get the old spout off. However, there is a piece of plastic that will not come off of the pipe. I can move it back so that it is flush with the wall, and I can move it forward as far as it shows in the attached picture. Do you know what is keeping it from moving off of the pipe and how I can get it off? If I can't remove it, then do you know if there is a certain spout with diverter that uses the same plastic so that it could go over this?
20180128_192102.jpg

Thank you,
Jenny

kozzney

Reaction score
I'd say try to cut it off with a dremel tool cutting wheel or something like that. And most tub spouts screw onto a nub, you might have to add a nub after

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That plastic piece will come off. You will need to remove it for the new spout. They just slide off with pliers.

Normally that piece would be held on with an Allen screw.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If somebody glued yours on, you could try cutting with a hot knife. Normally the thing would not be glued, but it looked like there might be some silicone glue in your photo.

Sluggo

Reaction score
If you can slide it back and forth on the copper pipe, but not get it completely off, the pipe may have a slight protrusion at the point where it is stopping, like a trace of solder or some surface corrosion or mineral deposits. It wouldn't take much to keep a tight fitting piece of plastic from slipping off easily. Slide it back against the wall and feel all around the pipe, including the underside, to see if there is anything like that. If so, it could be removed with a bit of emery paper or similar abrasive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks