plastic or stainless steel motor support?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by panda, Mar 4, 2011.

1. panda

panda New Member

I feel so stupid that I did not notice that there were two options for this. The motor support is at the bottom of the pump behind the mesh screen. What will be the difference between plastic and stainless steel for the motor support?

http://www.lancasterpump.com/documents/sumbpumpcovercut.pdf

2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    More of a concern to me would be a plastic discharge head than a plastic motor mount. No experience with Lancaster per se but have heard of pumps with plastic heads spin right off the pipe from torque.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. panda

panda New Member

I have the metal discharge head. But I have the plastic motor support. I have not taken it out of the box yet. I am wondering if I should leave it untouched and return it and get the steel motor support or whether it even matters.

5. panda

panda New Member

I have the stainless steel discharge head. But I have the plastic motor support. Well, our water is acidic so I'll just go ahead and install the pump with the plastic motor support.

6. WellWaterProducts

WellWaterProducts In the trades

I can't speak for Lancaster's product but I have not seen that part break on any plastic pumps. In some cases I have seen discharge ends break.

7. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

Consult and Teach Well Drilling Internationally
    Most pumps today use plastics and steel and properly installed lasts for years. The proper installation is the secret. If under or over tightened the plastic heads can fail that's why it's best done by a certified professional. However it can be done by a DIY if done properly. We never use teflon tape on the outlet of the pump. Permitex #2 is better to prevent the outlet fitting from unscrewing due to torque.

8. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    "Plastic" sounds so cheap. It's a glass fibre reinforced Noryl composite.

9. WellWaterProducts

WellWaterProducts In the trades

Porky, we have not experienced much, if any, of pumps unwinding from their fittings in NH. What are you using for pipe in the well?

LLigetfa- yes Noryl sounds better than "plastic". We have installed and serviced thousands of water treatment control valves made of Noryl and I have seen very few break, even after 20 years of service. It's quite a product.