Pitless adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

Runekey_69

Reaction score
can anyone describe the process of adding a pitiless adapter? i assume that the piping is tied and tightened off at the inside of the final section of well casing before it is lowered into the well, and this is done so that the other outside half can be added.

does anyone have tips on making this run smoothly? i feel like i will have problems with my pump depth during this step.

I would drill the well untill i hit water table, then drill a little deeper *i would drill deep enough so my final segment of pvc casing would be 4.5 feet below grade

next I would remove the 6inch drill bit

next I would continue adding 6inch pvc casing consecutively

on the final pvc case I would pre configure it before dropping it down and where i can access it 4.5 feet down outside the casing

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Your fully cased well needs screen where the water producing layer(s) is/are., which would usually be slotted PVC.
Then "gravel is used to fill in the space. The gravel size is selected so that very little of it fits through the slots. The gravel would not be what you picture when you think of gravel roads. It would look more like really course sand. Then the space above the gravel gets sealed up with bentonite typically.

Anyway, with the casing sticking up above ground you dig down to the side of the casing. You drill a hole into the casing. A B-10X type pitless would be a good choice typically. I am sure there is a technique to place the pitless inside part without dropping it down the well. I expect your Wisconsin well driller will be very adept at that. You could do the digging down probably.

Consider using a flow inducer around your pump to cool the pump better, and perhaps save you from sucking some sediment.

I have not done any of the stuff I talked about. Do more study.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A pitless can be added to the last piece of casing before it is set. Or you can dig down and drill a hole after the casing is set. But there is a science to drilling and completing a water well. Sounds like you need to study how wells are drilled in your area, as your plan does nor sound right.

DimonD

Reaction score
Your fully cased well needs screen where the water producing layer(s) is/are., which would usually be slotted PVC.
Then "gravel is used to fill in the space. The gravel size is selected so that very little of it fits through the slots. The gravel would not be what you picture when you think of gravel roads. It would look more like really course sand. Then the space above the gravel gets sealed up with bentonite typically.

Anyway, with the casing sticking up above ground you dig down to the side of the casing. You drill a hole into the casing. A B-10X type pitless would be a good choice typically. I am sure there is a technique to place the pitless inside part without dropping it down the well. I expect your Wisconsin well driller will be very adept at that. You could do the digging down probably.

Consider using a flow inducer around your pump to cool the pump better, and perhaps save you from sucking some sediment.

I have not done any of the stuff I talked about. Do more study.
You gave good recommendations and I got the impression that you did it many times) But really you need to study more, I am just starting my career and I am a trainee, but I would like to have a strong theoretical base like you have. I used to think that there was nothing complicated in the science of drilling wells, but now I understand that this is not so.

Reach4

Reaction score
You gave good recommendations and I got the impression that you did it many times) But really you need to study more, I am just starting my career and I am a trainee, but I would like to have a strong theoretical base like you have. I used to think that there was nothing complicated in the science of drilling wells, but now I understand that this is not so.
I am not a pro. When I need work in the well done, I call a pro. I do my own sanitizing, and maintenance of pressure tank, switch, water treatment stuff.

I learn from the posts of those who have done it, and I search stuff out. If you think my posts are in error, let's discuss it. I find the topic quite interesting.

Regarding drilling, I am confident that knowing the area is a big part of providing a good well.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Why wouldn't you have the well driller set the casing and have them supply pump, supply cover, wire,starter (if needed) and stub out. Or if they don't do the pump have a pump service do it. For my money turnkey is the only way to go.

DimonD

Reaction score
I am not a pro. When I need work in the well done, I call a pro. I do my own sanitizing, and maintenance of pressure tank, switch, water treatment stuff.

I learn from the posts of those who have done it, and I search stuff out. If you think my posts are in error, let's discuss it. I find the topic quite interesting.

Regarding drilling, I am confident that knowing the area is a big part of providing a good well. After all, you need to study the features of the soil, the criteria for the task and what result the customer needs. I think it's a good idea to create a newbie guide in the future.

It's right that if you need to do a job professionally, you call a professional. But I also find it interesting to learn something and try to do it myself without involving a pro. I don't think your opinion is wrong.)

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I hope you mean you are a trainee and starting a career in the pump and well business. We need new blood. There are so few people interested in this type of work these days. I think pumps are fascinating. I have been studying pumps everyday for over 55 year so far, and still learn something new everyday. One thing for certain is that anyone who says they know all there is to know about pumps is sorely mistaken.

If you need a pump or well worked on, and you can find an intelligent contractor, he is worth his/her weight in gold. However, there are very few intelligent contractors anymore. Most just want to sell you what they make the most money on, not what is best for you. You also will not know if the contractor is intelligent or not unless you research the details for yourself. Asking questions at places like this, then asking the same questions from your contractor will help you decided if he/she really knows what they are doing or not.

Sadly, in many cases it is best for the homeowner to do it themselves, as they are more educated on the subject than the contractor. This is a DIY forum, and we are glad to help you do it yourself. We are also happy to help educate, in order to help you get what you need from a contractor.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Reaction score
I'm not sure if your question was answered.

If you're wondering about how to install the pitless 4.5 ft down the casing after it's in place without dropping the outer piece off you do it upside down so the outer piece is hanging on the inner piece. If you install your pitless tool into the side of the pitless that is usually pointed down you can lower it down the casing and slip it in the hole from the inside. Slide the gasket, "washer", and nut on, then pull out the inner part, flip it over on the pitless tool, rotate the part in the casing 180 degrees then slide the inner part back on so you can tighten the nut.

It sounds complicated but it's not. I think it's Merrill that has a video on it but can't recall.

A faster but not quite as secure way is to slide the 2 halves together and tape really well. When done yank the inner part out with your pitless tool.

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
I hope you mean you are a trainee and starting a career in the pump and well business. We need new blood. There are so few people interested in this type of work these days. I think pumps are fascinating. I have been studying pumps everyday for over 55 year so far, and still learn something new everyday. One thing for certain is that anyone who says they know all there is to know about pumps is sorely mistaken.

If you need a pump or well worked on, and you can find an intelligent contractor, he is worth his/her weight in gold. However, there are very few intelligent contractors anymore. Most just want to sell you what they make the most money on, not what is best for you. You also will not know if the contractor is intelligent or not unless you research the details for yourself. Asking questions at places like this, then asking the same questions from your contractor will help you decided if he/she really knows what they are doing or not.

Sadly, in many cases it is best for the homeowner to do it themselves, as they are more educated on the subject than the contractor. This is a DIY forum, and we are glad to help you do it yourself. We are also happy to help educate, in order to help you get what you need from a contractor.

I agree with valveman, you spin a roulette wheel when selecting a well contractor.
Your neighbors might say "this is the guy we use" because they know no one else. After talking to your well guy you find out his full time job is collecting shopping carts at walmart. The consumer that does everything possible to be educated about a system they own will be the most successful. There will be no sales of volcano insurance, and no fees for existing well location service.
All said, it's difficult to find a decent well contractor these days.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks