Is trenching to the house included in well drilling estimates?

Users who are viewing this thread

wellquest

Reaction score
I helped my parents arrange to have a new well drilled. FWIW it was for about $16,000 for 100 feet deep, in Minnesota. When they got the bill it was for $19,000. $3,000 for "directional drilling" was added on that wasn't shown on the estimate. When the driller came to the house before hand he mentioned directional drilling, but didn't mention an extra charge for it.

We expected the bill to match the estimate unless they had to drill deeper than 100 feet.

Is that standard practice for a driller, estimate the drilling costs then add trenching or directional drilling costs onto the bill? Was it up to us to know, or ask? Should we just pay it with a lesson learned? I want to write a fair Google review.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would think the line to the house would be separate from drilling the well. Many drillers do not even do that job. In most areas it is trenched instead of directional drilled, but with the frost line depth in your area there might not be much difference. However, the drillers quote should have spelled out 16K for the well and 3K to trench to the house. If you ask him to trench without getting an estimate that is your bad. If he trenched and added 3K without asking that is his bad.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I understand you had an estimate but what was the contract, in other words the agreement?
sounds like he never told you he was including it all but your paper work should say

wellquest

Reaction score
If I had carefully read the entire estimate through I would have seen that trenching/directional drilling to the house was extra and by the foot. I wish that had been more clearly spelled out, and the directional drilling wasn't something we needed, but it's too late now. Lesson learned. Thanks folks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Had you fully understood before, I think you likely would have opted to have that done.

How is your new well? Pumping up sand etc? Part of "developing" a new well is to do some extra pumping to clear out stuff. You should be able to DIY. Having the well company do stuff that is largely waiting is not economical.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my sanitizing write-up. Winter would not be a good time to do this in MN IMO.

wellquest

Reaction score
Had you fully understood before, I think you likely would have opted to have that done.

How is your new well? Pumping up sand etc? Part of "developing" a new well is to do some extra pumping to clear out stuff. You should be able to DIY. Having the well company do stuff that is largely waiting is not economical.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my sanitizing write-up. Winter would not be a good time to do this in MN IMO.
The new well is doing great. It was pumping some sand but based on your advice we pumped a lot of water onto the ground. The water is clear and tasting good. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks