Pipes froze

Users who are viewing this thread

Dangerous Don

Reaction score
My pipes froze for a few days and all of a sudden yesterday I get water back in the house but no water in pressure tank. I have a submersible pump. I don't understand how I have water and or will it hurt anything.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If the freezing split the pipe, the leak could prevent the pump reaching shut-off pressure.

If there was power to the pump during the freeze, the pump would have deadheaded and damaged it to where it can no longer build enough pressure to reach shut-off.

A constantly running pump will hurt your wallet.

Reactions: RIR

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I saw this the other day, many parts of the US are discovering what happens when the temperature drops, and the homes hadn't been planned for that.

For plumbing on outside walls, open the cabinet doors, allowing room heat all the wall to the exterior wall, to keep those pipes from freezing.
Remove hoses from outside faucets and cover them.
Find the main shutoff for the home and tell the rest of the family where it is.
For faucets on outside walls, you can try letting them drip some.
The hot water supply lines will freeze first.

moen-freeze-pushed-it-out.jpg

Reactions: RIR

Reach4

Reaction score
My pipes froze for a few days and all of a sudden yesterday I get water back in the house but no water in pressure tank. I have a submersible pump. I don't understand how I have water and or will it hurt anything.
How do you know there is no water in the pressure tank? Is that tank light?

Does the pump turn on and off? If not, turn off the breaker.

If looking at the gauge, maybe the gauge is bad. That would be a nice cheap fix.

You can also get a garden hose thread pressure gauge to help out temporarily.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks