Pipe Dope, Plumbers Putty, or Teflon Tape?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by vistaman, May 3, 2008.

1. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I've never had a problem using tape on CPVC threads. You don't want to thread into a plastic (CPVC or PVC) fitting though. I prefer the plastic male adapter to thread to a female fitting. They do make a stainless reinforced CPVC fitting though which works well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Oldman Ludicrous

Oldman Ludicrous New Member

retired (sorta)
    Thanx. I'm new at the game- at least with PVC.
    (heh- ask me about computers sometime. Fifty+ years as a techie -everything from S360/370 to Raspberries)
    Your 2nd pic above is confusing. -
    a ¾" CPVC male adapter? Looks like a male brass thread into a female CPVC.
    Anyhow, I'm gonna fit my male adapters onto the brass ball valve with some Oatey white dope,
    and then glue the slip-on ends to the original CPVC pipe. And hope it doesn't leak.
    If it does? Well, simply saw off another inch of the old CPVC, and try again. Maybe with Teflon tape. I think I can do this at least 10-15 times before I run out of pipe. ;)-)
    If worse comes to worst, I'll glue a CPVC end-stopper onto what's left of the original CPVC and call a professional plumber!

3. Michael Young

Michael Young Active Member

NEVER use tape on gas appliances or gas piping!!!
    Always use about 4 spins of teflon tape on your threaded fittings
    Some people use teflon tape with a little brush of pipe dope (kinda overkill)
    I rarely use plumbers putty. I usually use clear silicone instead. Fewer leaks.
    and yes, I know you guys use plumbers putty. But silicone works better

-mike
    https://homeservicestriad.com/

4. Mr Andy

Mr Andy New Member

Drain tubing never need anything except the slip nut which installed in the right way then the tubing is round and smooth which can spend 2 year easily without any damage if You face problems then use plumbing services:):)