Pfister question

Users who are viewing this thread

CherylS

Reaction score
Hi, guys. Back again (from 10/11). Bathroom remodel had to be postponed, but now I'm back looking for faucets. I had asked in October what was a good brand and you were very helpful. Now I have a problem....
Found a shower and faucet I like the looks of, on-line. Pfister Portola collection. So, I go to the Pfister website to check it out and it's not listed on their website! I'm wondering if it's been discontinued, and if so, I'm thinking maybe I should steer clear of this one. Any ideas as to what the deal could be?
I found this at Faucet Depot item # GT48-RPOY.

Do you think I should keep looking?

Cheryl

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That is the Avalon. http://s7d1.scene7.com/is/content/Pfister/ss-048-08-p2

You would have to ask pp if it is still made.....good chance it has been converted to a low-lead, which might be the "G". But parts will be well supported. Since the OY is an exotic finish, Tuscan Bronze, handle and trim parts may become scarce over the years. The GT items are found on the PP "trade professional" site.

CherylS

Reaction score
Jimbo, the Avalon and the Portola look all together different. Might be the same guts, but the outside is not the same...which of course, is what appeals to me. That said...what are your thoughts/experience with Pfister products?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
GT48 is the base model number. Last two letters are the finish. The middle numbers are the trim style.

I like PP a lot. They have always been big in CA and I have repaired a ton of them. Of course there was a day where a little parts box the size of a box of cigars could hold all the stems, seats, gaskets, and o-rings you needed to repair any pp faucet. You could even fit in a few handles...there weren't that many different ones! It is more complicated than that now, as with any brand.

You will hear people who hate PP. All depends on what you have been used to. The guy up in WI loves Kohler, of course. Many of us do not like the hassle with so many different parts, hard to find.

For a lav faucet, get one that suits your style. Not a big risk there.

CherylS

Reaction score
Hi hj. Don't know how you found that...I searched all over that website! But, still can't find the vanity faucet. I am going to call Pfister today to find out what the deal is. I am just concerned that if I order this on-line then have a problem with the shower that I won't be able to get parts.... ..what about you??? what's your opinion of Pfister products?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Parts, as in cartidges/stems will never be a problem with PP. As I mentioned, handles and trim in exotic finishes DO go out of production, and there is little aftermarket supply of those.

CherylS

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with a Pfister rep, and was told that the Portola is still in stock, no information that it is being discontinue...at least for 2012. He also told me that not all of their products are on their website...that they have a lot of new products that aren't even on there. So, I feel much better about this. Also, when I gave him the item number he informed me that the letter o was the number zero....which is why the vanity faucet didn't come up when I searched for it.

OK guys, something I didn't think to ask him while I was on the phone...maybe you can answer??? I can order these faucets from numerous places on the web. Also available through Home Depot and Lowes. Why is there such a wide variance in prices??? For instance, the faucet at HD is $204, at this Faucet Depot it's $162. big difference!

thank you again for all of your help. You guys are great!

CherylS

Reaction score
OK...another question....what is the difference between a valve "with stops" and one "without stops"? What are stops???

CherylS

Reaction score
OMG...somebody rescue me from this crap!! Now..... the shower faucets that I have now you can control the temperature AND the water pressure. Just read that this one you can only regulate the temperature. How do I know if I am buying a shower faucet that will let me control the water pressure??? Son like it full blast...I don't. What else am I overlooking here????

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
8" lavatory faucet is #GT49-HPOC. The don't make anything similar in a 4" centerset model. Proce is an option that the seller chooses depending on the profit he wants, and how cheaply he can buy the faucet. There can also be quality differences, such as a brass popup drain or a plastic one. In most cases, since the average faucet can be repaired by simply removing the handle, integral stops would never be accessed by the plumber after it is installed. There are few faucets that contral the temperature and volume separately, the Delta 1700 series, and Moentroll being two of them. The rest open full volume when they are turned on and then you just control the temperature by rotating the handle.

Last edited:

CherylS

Reaction score
OK guys, last question.... someone on one of the websites asked if you could control the water flow on this shower faucet and the answer given was no. I did a live chat on the website and was told this shower is pressure balanced and you can not control the water flow. So..... are they saying when I turn this faucet on it goes from totally off to full blast with no in between??? Like I can't turn it on a little, adjust the temperature and then turn the water on "higher" so to speak???? I'm so confused about this...don't know how it can go from off to full blast...but I wouldn't like that. Please someone explain this. right now I have Moen showers that have one handle...I pull it out a little, turn to adjust the temp, then pull to the flow I want. Can't do that with this one? Please answer asap...this is a deal breaker for me.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Most of the less expensive faucets these days are simple, single control pressure balanced. You have to pay a little more to get separted temp and volume controls.

Shower valves are available optionally with integral "stops". These are built in screw-driver operated shut off valves for the hot and cold water. Very convenient for an apartment or hotel so you can work on it without shutting off the whole building. Not necessary for a single family home.

You can find anything somewhere on the internet. That is like shopping at a box store...pay your money and take your chances

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Most of the less expensive faucets these days are simple, single control pressure balanced. You have to pay a little more to get separted temp and volume controls.

Shower valves are available optionally with integral "stops". These are built in screw-driver operated shut off valves for the hot and cold water. Very convenient for an apartment or hotel so you can work on it without shutting off the whole building. Not necessary for a single family home.

You can find anything somewhere on the internet. That is like shopping at a box store...pay your money and take your chances

And they can be a problem when the washer comes off......Delta uses a standard washer that would go on a fixture stop. Deltas is a brasscraft stop with a screwdriver slot. There useful when they work. All goes back to proper service.

CherylS

Reaction score
I didn't see a 1700 series on the website.... Ok with Moen, do I have to have that "Moentrol" to be able to have my flow half force?? there is so much stuff on their website that is totally confusing! Moentrol, posi temp.... Lord.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks