PEX homerun for double vanity

Users who are viewing this thread

Nick Bosco

Reaction score
I'll be pluming a remodeled portion of my home soon that includes a bathroom with double vanity. My question is how best to handle the supply to the double vanity. It seems very excessive to have a home run for both hot and cold supplies of each sink, not to mention the issue of the independent waiting time for hot water that will cause.

Is it acceptable to stub out only one hot and cold supply and split it to both sinks external to the wall? I'd prefer doing that over burring a manifold or tee in the wall.

Thanks

Stuff

Reaction score
What if the OP uses 3/4" pex? Then use reducing tees or manifolds exposed and screwed to the wall to feed 1/2"? Messy but hidden.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1/2" PEX in the wall with tees in the wall so that each faucet has their own shutoffs.
Once you reduce down with a shutoff you lose a lot.

double_lav_rough_2.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Tee off in the walls and bring out the stubs on both side of the vanity for the two sinks. Here are before and after. From CPVC to PEX. This is a second floor main bath. New faucets only use about 1 gallon a minute. I used Delta faucets with a rating of a maximum 1.20 gpm @ 60 psi from the specification sheet. No problem with water flow with 1/2" pipe. Old faucets before the 1992 may have use 2 or more gallons a minute.

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 2.06.13 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 2.07.10 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Nick Bosco

Reaction score
Thanks, will tee in the wall then.

I also noticed that both posts you're stubing out in PEX. I was debating how best to do this: PEX or a copper stub, but if Terry Love is stubing out in PEX I think I will too.

The one exception is for an exposed shower I am installing that I think the only way to go is with a brass drop ear elbow in order to get the required threaded nipple to stub out.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I also noticed that both posts you're stubing out in PEX. I was debating how best to do this: PEX or a copper stub, but if Terry Love is stubing out in PEX I think I will too.

I took that picture from a new construction site in the neighborhood.
I prefer to stub out with copper and used a compression stop on that.
A lot of plumbers are using PEX though and either using an expansion stop or a sharkbit stop.

Three ways of doing that I guess. Unless you add a forth by using a drop ear and a brass nipple out.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
With PEX an important part is supporting the stub outs. If you notice in the pic above on the left side there is a 2x6 to support the strap. The plumber I hired did that. Before I covered the opening with drywall, I moved the metal strap so it spanned both metal studs. I left the stub out in the same position of the wall. I would have preferred the bracing that Terry's picture shows but it seems different products are available & used around the country. The 24" vanity base had drawers and one door, so the position of everything had to be off center to clear. All part of the planning.

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 4.54.45 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 4.54.30 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 4.55.47 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks