PEX expansion fitting leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Nicholas Meyers

Reaction score
Hello, I was hoping to get the input of some experienced installers on a PEX-A fitting leak.

I accidentally switched my hot and cold supply lines coming up from the basement and had to put the tee for the toilet in the cold water line after I had already run it through the floor joists.

I just have a manual tool and it was awkward using it between the joists because the arms are too long-I had to bend the tubing more than when I first installed all the other fittings (none of which leak) and was able to put slack in where I needed it to have room for the tool.

The tee to the toilet (in its proper location on the cold line) had a few drops per minute coming out when I tested it. I'm guessing the awkward angle maybe caused me to expand the tubing and ring more than usual???

I hit the tee with a heat gun for maybe 30-45 seconds, and that stopped the leak.

A day later and it is still holding under constant pressure.

I am just wondering if this is a common situation, where you get a drip that goes away.

I am tempted to just leave it be, if it continues to not leak for the next couple of days.

But peace of mind is important and I dread having to go into the ceiling months from now.

I would put in another tee without hesitating if I had the $400 manual tool which would fit in between the joists no problem. With my manual tool I fear repeating the same situation.

I can also re-run the entire cold line if that's what is necessary.

I realize it's a judgement call, but just curious what you experts think.

Thanks,
Nick

Reach4

Reaction score
I have put them on a wet pipe, and had the ring slip. Then stretched a new ring to fit over the expanded PEX, and re-did. I had a small leak. I compressed the ring with a worm gear clamp for a month or so (would not have had to wait that long). No leak after.

Not the same as what you describe, but I would leave it. Even without being heated, it would shrink down to no-leak with time. With heat you got to no-leak more quickly.

Nicholas Meyers

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to respond Reach4, Terry, and breplum.
Breplum, I depressurized right away when I noticed the leak, before heating.
It's still not leaking, and I've given it a couple of nudges to see if I could reproduce the drips, and still nothing. Still holding the pressure.
So it sounds like the consensus is that it's okay?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks