PEX connections on 40 gal electric water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Eman85

Reaction score
Can PEX be connected directly to an electric tank water heater or do you have to use metallic flex lines?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tennessee uses the IPC, which IIRC does not have any explicit prohibition on running PEX to the electric tank water heater. But you need to check the installation instructions on the water heater itself, and on the brand of PEX you are using.

Cheers, Wayne

Eman85

Reaction score
I think I'll go with using connectors just to be safe. Ant particular style or brand better than others? I see BrassCraft makes some that work with PEX. Are the copper ones better than the stainless in corrugated? I see many say to stay away from the flexible style and I don't need Sharkbite quick connects, I have compression and cinch style tools.

Eman85

Reaction score
Any preference copper to stainless? I saw a video on this site where Terry Love uses copper.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think tand p can run pex , I never ran pex or any plastic to a w/h nor am planning on it, electric or gas . My code says 18 inches from heater

MISWFL

Reaction score
I prefer to use braided Sharkbite hoses to the tank, so the tank can be moved if needed. I use CPVC stubbed out from Pex A ( Uponor ) on threaded couplers. I use threaded ball valve stops on both the cold and hot Pex supplies, before the CPVC. I don't use Sharkbites anywhere else and don't recommend them elsewhere. The water heater uses a pan that drains outside. No idea if that meets code, but works for me.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
They also have Sharkbite WH connectors in corrugated stainless. Braided lines are coverings over rubber-like tubes, and sometimes those decompose, giving black particles. I am not sure if that would apply to Sharkbite versions, but I would prefer corrugated.

Eman85

Reaction score
I purchased Brasscraft corrugated stainless with PEX crimp style connectors already on them. I use crimp and cinch clamps on my PEX as I have the tools for it and it works for me. Just me but the only place I install any CPVC in my home is the garbage can, works well there. Water heater pan will be plumbed to outside the home's perimeter and will drain the T&P also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks