Perplexing Pump Problem - intermittent elevated loads on main

Users who are viewing this thread

MichaelSK

Reaction score
Here's an update. (Remember we live in north central Florida - LIGHTNING STORMS.)

Reach4 (used conversation modality from this forum) was a helpful in discussing the findings of a megohm meter.

I discovered, after digging a hole about 1' deep, that the house ground was not intact (the electrician 30 years ago used a galvanized ground rod, zinc -or pot metal cheap wire connector, #6 solid copper on a 200 amp service) very little of the zinc connector was left to be seen.

The wire in the mechanical room connecting the pressure switch, on/off switch, pump control box, and well UF-B cable was low voltage primary wire.

I temporarily fixed the grounding system. (Will start a conversation on the electrical forum about grounding and routing wire, etc.)
Took out all the piping and redid all the piping, installed a CSV valve.
Took out all the wiring/junction boxes, pressure switch, etc. and replaced all the wiring (greatly simplified it - far fewer pigtails), put the wiring in new nonmetalic watertight conduit.

Well, it didn't work because the Merrill pressure switch I got from TX was defective. So I went to the local big box store, purchased a 30/50 Square D. Installed the new pressure switch, adjusted the pressure on the the CSV - and I couldn't be more happy. I HAVE WATER, and the water to air heat pump works - a cool dehumidified house. Hooyah!

I am going to post some pressure readings, that CSV valve is very interesting. Wish I could post some photos, but haven't a clue how to get phone photos onto the computer.

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone.

MichaelSK

Reaction score
By the way Karen Austin in TX is wonderful. I sent her a note about the pressure switch and stainless nipple. Well, in less than 30 minutes she wrote back that she was sending out replacements today. Great personal service at Cycle Stop Valves, Inc. in Lubbock, TX.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks