Overwhelmed by Delta rough in valve selection

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hello, again.
I need to purchase a couple rough in shower valves. One for a tub/shower combo and one for just a shower.
The plumber I paid to do the remodel of another bathroom swore by Moen rough in valves and wouldn't use anything else. They mated up well with my Delta finish fixture selection so I am fine with them. However, when I go to Amazon there are dozens of different kinds and I am completely overwhelmed. Can someone point me at the right search terms or products for my residential remodel?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you're just purchasing the Rough In valve ONLY and you want to purchase the valve that your plumber likes to use..

Moen Positemp valve is the one you want.
This one has 1/2 IPS threads which are pretty much universal. But if the installer prefers you can get them in solder/sweat.

Moen Positemp - Sweat
1668633413071.png

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The valve bodies are the same across the MOEN Positemp line (and Delta). The reason for many valve bodies are the pipe fittings and stops. You always would like to have the one with stops. Pipe fittings are are sweat, threaded, PEX

Positemp without stops.
1668658121977.png

Positemp sweat without stops
1668658418221.png

Positemp Crimp for PEX without stops
1668658299696.png

Reaction score
If you're just purchasing the Rough In valve ONLY and you want to purchase the valve that your plumber likes to use..

Moen Positemp valve is the one you want.
This one has 1/2 IPS threads which are pretty much universal. But if the installer prefers you can get them in solder/sweat.

Moen Positemp - Sweat
View attachment 88114
The valve bodies are the same across the MOEN Positemp line (and Delta). The reason for many valve bodies are the pipe fittings and stops. You always would like to have the one with stops. Pipe fittings are are sweat, threaded, PEX

Positemp without stops.
View attachment 88120

Positemp sweat without stops
View attachment 88123

Positemp Crimp for PEX without stops
View attachment 88122
So sorry, guys/gals, in my frustration I completely forgot to add that 1. I am the plumber on this one, I referenced the previous plumber just because I figured he knew Moen was good and so I would use the same...and 2. That my supply system is CPVC. I know many of you will protest at that but it is what I am using and need compatible valve bodies.

I see a couple of those with threads so that should work right? I have not gone to the pages to look at them well yet.

This is what the plumber did on the earlier remodeled bathroom...

preilly-01.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK, having gone and found the picture above of what my previous plumber did I have more questions.
1. It appears the valves he used had male connection points and I have yet to find one like that.
2. He used CPVC adapters with stainless steel...isn't it bad to have Stainless touching brass for corrosion reasons?
3. The valve Tuttles posted above says IPS fittings (looking it up says IPS is straight threads)...all the adapters I have found like the ones in the pictures say NPT (tapered threads)...isn't that non compatible?
4. I have competing information on IPS standing for either Iron Pipe Size or others saying Iron Pipe Straight.
5. Everything I am reading says you have to match trim to valve Delta/Delta or Moen/Moen...I thought I had Moen valve with Delta Trim in that picture...Is that not a Moen Valve?

Sigh, you wouldn't think this would be so difficult to figure out.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK, having gone and found the picture above of what my previous plumber did I have more questions.
1. It appears the valves he used had male connection points and I have yet to find one like that.
The valves pictured look like Delta valves to me. I would suggest using the same valves / trim just to keep things simple and coherent throughout.
2. He used CPVC adapters with stainless steel...isn't it bad to have Stainless touching brass for corrosion reasons?
Stainless steel and brass are close enough to not have issues.
3. The valve Tuttles posted above says IPS fittings (looking it up says IPS is straight threads)...all the adapters I have found like the ones in the pictures say NPT (tapered threads)...isn't that non compatible?
That is just 3rd party ignorant nomenclature. All valves made by any name brand you know will have tapered threads and or pex/cpvc connections.
4. I have competing information on IPS standing for either Iron Pipe Size or others saying Iron Pipe Straight.

5. Everything I am reading says you have to match trim to valve Delta/Delta or Moen/Moen...I thought I had Moen valve with Delta Trim in that picture...Is that not a Moen Valve?
Absolutely true. If you want Delta trim you must use a Delta rough in body. Same with 90% of manufactures. Lets just not discuss the other 10..
Sigh, you wouldn't think this would be so difficult to figure out.
Its not. Keep It Simple Stupid.. Pick the trim that you like and buy the appropriate valve. Look on the manufactures website rather than 3rd party. Find the model numbers that coorespond to those components and then purchase them from where you need to.

All of Delta Rough in shower valves here. If you're going to use CPVC, then I would suggest getting the R10000-IPWS which has Female IPS threads.. I just prefer Male adapters over female adapters if I'm converting. 71 of those valves in stock from build/ferguson.

Last edited:
Reaction score
All of Delta Rough in shower valves here. If you're going to use CPVC, then I would suggest getting the R10000-IPWS which has Female IPS threads.. I just prefer Male adapters over female adapters if I'm converting. 71 of those valves in stock from build/ferguson.
Thank you very much for clearing up all of my confusion. I appreciate the effort to address each one separately.
While I was waiting for responses I kept trying to figure it out on my own and when searching 3rd party site it seemed like all the Moen valves had female IPS connections and the Delta had Male IPS. I see from that Ferguson site that that is not necessarily true but in any case it had led to decide that what I had in the picture must be a Delta Valve lol. So I did some research with the trim I was looking at and had these two valves sitting in my cart when I read your post.
1. Would there be any difference between the IPWS and the UPWS or is that just the difference between male and female?
2. I can get it for $20 cheaper and today rather than next week from Ferguson. Is there really any difference in the product?

1668705140887.png

Reaction score
You have a Delta R10000 shower valve and a Delta R11000 diverter
Thank you very much for the confirmation. The 3-way is exactly what I have but I don't need the diverter for either of the new ones I am putting in. I am thinking, even though Tuttles Revenge clearly prefers the Male adapters I might go with the UN versions just as he said to keep it simple and coherent throughout the home.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the above picture, the top valve is set up for Tub/Shower and the bottom valve the tub port is non-existant for Shower only applications.
1. Would there be any difference between the IPWS and the UPWS or is that just the difference between male and female?
No functional difference between the 2.
2. I can get it for $20 cheaper and today rather than next week from Ferguson. Is there really any difference in the product?
Hard to say. I don't buy these products from Amazon or any other online vendor since I have 30 Brick n Mortar stores within 20 miles that we purchase from in bulk. I see that they do label one of their valves as Lowes or Jacuzzi only models, but I have never used those.

The IPWS is female threaded and the UNWS is the Male threaded / copper solder (the one that we purchase the most) Both

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks