Options for a 10 1/2" Rough

Users who are viewing this thread

schinks

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am planning a bath renovation and my existing 20 year old toilet has a rough in of 10 1/2" (measured from finished wall to flange bolt). I am really struggling to find a replacement toilet that will fit. Some of the Kohler toilets I have looked at have a 12"RI with 1" between the tank and wall... close but not quite. All the 10" I have seen have >= 5/8" gap between the tank and wall. Correct me if I am wrong, but if I used one of those, wouldn't I end up with an inch or more gap between the tank and wall? I am ok with a small (<3/8") gap between tank and wall, but nothing more than that.

What are my options here... I am pretty sure this is going to require moving the flange (in a concrete slab) which I can do, but I really don't want to. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also don't have much money in my budget for this so something like Toto and their uni-fit(?) is probably not an option.

Thanks for your help.

Cory

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
12" minus 5/8" = 11-3/8"

And you have 10.5"
And you think that's going to fit?

Even the Toto Drake with 1-1/8" behind the tank is going to be 10-7/8"

schinks

Reaction score
I guess I didn't word my question right... I know the 12" won't fit (the one I found has 1" gap, so it's close but no cigar). The 10" leaves too big of a gap for my taste. I mentioned the Toto because it has the adapter for 10" RI. What I am looking for is advice on whether or not I have any options other than moving the flange.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is no standard on the gap behind the toilet, only that it will fit given a 'proper' rough-in. Some toilets will have almost no gap (rare), and some will have over an inch. The Toto's with the UniFit adapter generally have 3/4". Other models and brands will have different values.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks