One pressure regulator vs multiple pressure regulators

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin12345

Reaction score
Hi,
I have three small greenhoses(Let say greenhouse A,B,C)
Each greenhouses have about 30 sprinklers,
and all sprinkler need 30 PSI regulated water.

Three pvc pipe line go from one water faucet to greenhouse A,B,C.
PVC length is about 30' to 50' from the water faucet to greenhouse A, B, C.
The pvc line is not straight. There are many turns, and go up 8' height from the faucet to greenhouse A,B,C.

I can install 30 PSI pressure regulators near the water faucet.
However I thought water pressure might go down when water travel 30' to 50'.
So I thought it might better to to install 3 pressure regulators near greenhouse A,B,C instead of install one regulator near faucet.
Do you think it make sense, or will it be same either install one regulator or three regulators.

Thank you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, it makes sense. First simple thing...water pressure changes with elevation changes...think of a water tower. The pressure drops about 0.43#/foot elevation change.

Second thing, dynamic pressure changes with friction, so the longer the pipe run, the more friction; the more changes of direction, the more friction (usually those are treated as equivalent distances...a 90-degree elbow would add the equivalent of X longer pipe run). The smaller the pipe, the faster the flow, the longer the pipe, the more friction.

So to design a system, you need to know the volume of the water needed at any one time, the equivalent distance the water has to flow (that would include the adds for the extra changes of direction), and the size of the pipe.

It's not all that hard to calculate the dynamic pressure. Static pressure is what you get with no water flowing, which will be quite different from what you'd have with lots of flow.

Since each greenhouse is likely to have different effective lengths, and the pipe sizes may differ, their dynamic pressure losses will vary, so having a regulator for each might be worthwhile.

Kevin12345

Reaction score
Yes, it makes sense. First simple thing...water pressure changes with elevation changes...think of a water tower. The pressure drops about 0.43#/foot elevation change.

Second thing, dynamic pressure changes with friction, so the longer the pipe run, the more friction; the more changes of direction, the more friction (usually those are treated as equivalent distances...a 90-degree elbow would add the equivalent of X longer pipe run). The smaller the pipe, the faster the flow, the longer the pipe, the more friction.

So to design a system, you need to know the volume of the water needed at any one time, the equivalent distance the water has to flow (that would include the adds for the extra changes of direction), and the size of the pipe.

It's not all that hard to calculate the dynamic pressure. Static pressure is what you get with no water flowing, which will be quite different from what you'd have with lots of flow.

Since each greenhouse is likely to have different effective lengths, and the pipe sizes may differ, their dynamic pressure losses will vary, so having a regulator for each might be worthwhile.
Thank you very much!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks