Best way to extend propane line to generator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bryanbdp

Reaction score
I need to relocate LP generator to another side of the house.
Currently, the house is supplied by underground tank.
1/2 OD copper plastic jacketed line runs underground from 10psi regulator on tank to outside wall of house.
There it goes through a 2nd stage regulator and into the house where it is distributed by CSST.
The new generator location is closer to the regulator.
I can run the new line along the wall of the house to the new location.

1) Can I put a 3/8 flare Tee in the copper (10 psi) line and run a jacketed copper line along the side of the house and terminate in the new 2nd stage regulator next to the generator? I will protect line from physical damage.

2) Alternatively, can I install 2nd stage regulator to Tee next to existing regulator, then run either CSST or black pipe to generator?

I like #1 better since the copper pipe is small and easy to protect. Is it ok to run the 10psi along outside of house? Then regulate just before generator connection.

If #1 isn't ok then black pipe or CSST seem the way to go, regulated down to 10-12 in wc.

Generator is 8kw, calls for 63 cf per hour max, which I believe is 157k Btu. Run is less than 30 feet.
Is black pipe OK for use with propane? What size would I need for this run at the 12 in wc pressure?

Thank you, Bryan

20240103_131526.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks