One Piece Shower bases - anyone have experience with them

Users who are viewing this thread

TomD

Reaction score
My wife and I have to rebuild our shower and the one piece materials interest me. Does anyone have any experience with one-piece shower bases and/or solid surface materials for the walls?

I see where Kohler is in this game so it would be something like what they sell or a competitor to them.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They can work, but IMHO, have about zero style. One piece bits first need the floor to be perfectly level, which is possible, but unlikely. There are ways to make that work, primarily by setting the pan in piles of mortar to level it and help support the bottom so it doesn't flex. If it isn't, your drainage won't work well, and the walls may not fit, or leave uneven gaps, or the floor flex creating stress fractures over time. That also means the corners must be square and the walls plumb. On most, there's almost no leeway on where the drain is...it needs to be nearly perfect, and that may need to be moved if you can't move the whole shower slightly to accommodate it. The drain often seems to be just up against a joist, making that a major issue. Sometimes, you're lucky!

THere are situations where that may be the best choice, but I'd prefer a tiled shower. IF that's a consideration, check out www.johnbridge.com where they specialize in things tiled and showers is a big portion...tiled or not.

Dream Weaver Bath

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like shower pans and full slab walls. I try to use shower pans even when we install tile walls. Setting the pan level does make the walls go in a lot easier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks