Old well

Users who are viewing this thread

Whatnot

Reaction score
I have an old well on my property that I would like to put back into service for irrigation.
It has been a while since I looked at it but don't think the casing was in good condition. Is it possible to put a new casing inside? If so, what is the proper way to seal around the new casing?

The well is only 30' deep and was at least 6" diameter. Last time I looked, water was sitting around 10' below ground level. I have not tried pumping from it yet to see how much it will drop. I only need around 3 gpm and do not need much pressure. 20 psi at 3 gpm should be plenty for what I need. What would be the best pump to use for that? I am looking for the most efficient because it would run pretty much continuously.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the hole is still open you might be able to put a 4" liner in that 6" casing. A little gravel pack between the 4" and 6" would be best, but the 6" casing is what needs to be sealed to the earth.

A 10GS05 is the smallest pump you can get, and it will want to pump 14 GPM from 10' and 20 PSI. You will need to throttle it with a valve to make it only pump 3 GPM. Or you can use a PK1A to control the pump and only run 3 GPM as needed.

Whatnot

Reaction score
Is there no way to get it sealed to a new inside pipe? I am not sure there is enough left of the 6" for that to work.

What kind of wattage would that pump be drawing at 3 gpm?

Reach4

Reaction score
Franklin AIM manual shows a 1/2 HP 240 volt motor with a control box that includes both a start and a run capacitor at 655 watts.

Reach4

Reaction score
Franklin AIM manual shows a 1/2 HP 240 volt motor with a control box that includes both a start and a run capacitor at 655 watts.
Not if he throttles down to a lower flow.

Whatnot

Reaction score
I will try to remember to take a picture. I am only there once or twice a week usually.
I found some 24v DC pumps that are rated at the flow I want and are around 100 watts.

Whatnot

Reaction score
I don't need pressure at the discharge point.
There are a lot of different options. This one is a lower pressure model https://www.sunpumps.com/Photo/335?d=7/20/20186:22:27AM
Most others I saw are up to 100 PSI/230' head but those use more wattage for the flow I need.
It looks like another nice feature of this type pump is I can just vary the voltage to adjust flow and use less power over restricting it.

Whatnot

Reaction score
I just opened up and there is only casing for about the top 2 feet. Then it I'd just sand wall. It appears to have originally been a dug well. There are flat stones in a circle about 2 feet diameter. Someone must have filled in around some sort of pipe that is now gone.

I think there used to be a windmill over it with a piston pump in the well.

Is there a way to salvage the well?

Whatnot

Reaction score
Pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20180721_151730199.jpg
    IMG_20180721_151730199.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 186

Whatnot

Reaction score
How much of the casing should be perforated?
Is schedule 40 PVC ok to use? That steel pipe is 5" ID at the top but larger below the top part. The hole down below looks like it is probably over 6" but it is not straight.

Whatnot

Reaction score
What exactly is .035 perf? Google searching doesn't really work. Mostly just finds SDR 35 pvc.
It that .035" slots cut in PVC? If I search for perforated I just find it with round holes that are fairly large.

I see they make PVC that is labeled for well casing. Is that required or can regular PVC be used? I am not sure if anywhere locally would carry the stuff labeled for well casing.

Reach4

Reaction score
Search for slotted well casing or
slotted screen.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks