Old Toilet Flange Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Victoria90

Reaction score
I am attempting to replace the toilet in my upstairs bathroom and cannot figure out a fix to my issue. I have (what I think) is a 4" galvanized steel drain pipe. When I took the old toilet off, the wax ring was sitting on the steel plate in the picture. The steel plate has an uneven surface and the bolts that connected to the old toilet are coming up through the subfloor and there doesn't appear to be a flange from what I can see. The steel plate that the old toilet was on seems to be attached directly to the pipe drain. I need to raise the flange height about 1/4 in to install the new tile and toilet, but do not know the correct steps to take to do this. Would I need to cut the steel and install a new flange? Is there an easier way to raise the toilet and have it seal properly? House was built in 1964

Attachments

• IMG-3124.jpg
    IMG-3124.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG-3127.jpg
    IMG-3127.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 103

Reach4

Reaction score
Do not cut. Rejoice in what you have. I am thinking lead with some brass beneath that.

Steel would be attracted to a magnet.

You can use wax, or a waxless replacement, to make up the distance. While a closet flange sitting on top of the finished floor is ideal, that ideal is often not met and works fine. Spacers have their downside.

If those closet bolts seem damaged or are not well-positioned, speak up. There will be a good solution.

When dropping a toilet onto wax, have the shims pre-positioned, and make sure there is enough wax for the wax to squish. You don't want to de-compress wax to insert shims or for another reason.

Victoria90

Reaction score
Do not cut. Rejoice in what you have. I am thinking lead with some brass beneath that.

Steel would be attracted to a magnet.

You can use wax, or a waxless replacement, to make up the distance. While a closet flange sitting on top of the finished floor is ideal, that ideal is often not met and works fine. Spacers have their downside.

If those closet bolts seem damaged or are not well-positioned, speak up. There will be a good solution.

When dropping a toilet onto wax, have the shims pre-positioned, and make sure there is enough wax for the wax to squish. You don't want to de-compress wax to insert shims or for another reason.

Thank you! We replaced the hanger bolts because they did not clear the top of the toilet. We will take your advice on the shims/wax ring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks