Old pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Nettlewarbler

Reaction score
Hello all , i pulled the washer out yesterday , as water was showing on the plyboard base underneath . I don't know when the pipework was fitted , but it must be at least 10 years old . I has a washer connection for both hot and cold pipes . only the blue connection ( for the cold pipe is being used ) . but the red one is already there . there is also a T- Piece about 4 inchs along the 15mm copper pipe . This is where the leak was from , the middle part of the T-Piece . It had a Stop cap ( if thats the name , something to blank off the T and make it perform like a straight coupler ) . I am not planning on putting anything else from the T-Piece , Garden Tap etc , and when i nipped the nut up to stop the leak it was very tight , i was praying i did'nt strip the thred . i was thinking of taking it out all together , Can i Re-Use the nut whats there now just undo the nut pull the copper pipe out and then put a new pipe in with a new olive using the old nut thats there now . or will i have to replace the lot . thanks .

Nettlewarbler

Reaction score
Just for instance , can you take a piece of old copper pipe from a straight compression fitting . put a new olive on another new piece of copper pipe and replace the old original pipe , but still use the old nut on the end of the original fitting . Do you understand that better .

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A more understandable name would be the compression ring...