Old or New Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Triple BB

Reaction score
Remodeling an unfinished basement. Had to open the concrete floor to move the shower and toilet lines. The 4" cast was rotted out. Ended up replacing 20' before we finally tied into good pipe. At the same time, I'm remodeling and moving two toilets in the bathrooms upstairs. I wanted to update with two new higher performance 1.6 gpf toilets. My plumber said if it was him, he'd stay with my old 5 gpf toilets. The problem is, it's 90' from these toilets to the sewer main. Also, the remaining cast in the ground isn't that smooth. He advised if the new toilets can't push the waste all the way to the main without having to do multiple flushes you've wasted a bunch of money and gained nothing. He said you had zero issues with the old toilets for all these years. He suggested buying a pair of cheap toilets to pass inspection, and then clean up and reinstall the original toilets. I'd still like to do a couple high performance toilets, but don't want to waste the money if he's right. Sorry for the long first post, but I'd really like some experts second opinions. Thanks...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My mothers place was 250 feet to the main sewer line., She had three toilets, 1.28 and 1.60
I would go with the new performance toilets. I'm not a fan of the old 5.0 bowls from the 60's and 70's. Most people that had those always had a plunger in the bathroom. People with the newer toilets don't need those.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
New toilets do flush better and there are some cases where your plumber could be correct. Most times New toilets are fine even with the new toilets you can adjust them to flush with more water as long as your tank is big enough.

I'd get new toilets, but make sure they don't come with the tiny tanks some of them are trending towards.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, most toilets don't move the waste all the way along a horizontal run with a single flush. THe bigger problem is if the pipe has flat or reverse slope sections. Older CI can get really rough, and that doesn't help, either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks