Old Mueller valve won't budge...

Users who are viewing this thread

Jkegarch

Reaction score
IMG_2623.JPG

Hoping someone might recognize this valve and might know how to get it to turn.
It's located on the house side of my meter and I need to shut it off in order to change a washer downstream. I've tried a moderate amount of force on the lever with no success. Afraid to try any harder and risk breaking something. Does the screw shown in the valve body need to be removed before it will turn?
Thanks

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
To me, the handle looks a little twisted...could be from trying to force it to move.
Try a lubricant, let it penetrate and soak for 10 mins, then use a wrench and not the handle. If still hard to move, I'd replace the valve. Get a quality shut off valve, but you know, most of them go bad fairly quickly.
You will have to shut the water at the street to do that.
The screws are probably for bleeding.
Out here in my city we don't use this kind.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you sure it's installed so that the handle pulls toward you and not away? Mistakes happen. I would at least see if it moves the other direction too. There should be stops that prevent it from levering too much.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a "plug cock", NOT a "ball valve". The "bolt" at the bottom could have been a lubrication port to inject grease around the plug. The stop pin's location indicates the handle DOES pull towards you. A big Crescent wrench around the handle connection MAY rotate it, but they can be very "obstinate" when they want to be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks