Well Pump Recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Clown

Reaction score
To start I know very little about wells and plumbing. Also I know practically nothing about my particular well. We had intended on getting a well inspection done before purchasing but other things came up and we had forgot about it until everything was already done. The previous owner also knew very little as they had simply inherited the house from a family member they didn't really talk to, fixed it up and sold it.

All I really know is its a shallow well don't even know the actual well location (dont know if it goes straight down where the pump setup is or if it goes out and then down). I am going to have a well company still come out and look at it after winter to hopefully give me more information on it and I am also wanting to get my pump setup upgraded which is mostly what brings me here. I would like to know what I want done before they come and try and sell me on crap I don't need.

My concerns and problems.
First and foremost I would like to know more about my well integrity. We have been in the house for a couple months now and haven't had any supply issues, more just weak flow issues but I still always worry about it running dry. (never had a well except as a kid and even then it wasn't my concern since I was a kid)

Next is more of a problem. I would really like to improve my actual water flow. The pressure from the setup I have is good but only lasts about 1 minute or 2 and then drops dramatically. My guess is the tank being so small and then I'm simply running off the pump. I was considering adding a larger tank or booster pump but then came across the CSV stuff and am now really considering that route since it seems to take about the same space so it will fit where current setup is and from everything I read is a lot more reliable long term.

There's also the fact that if I am trying to use multiple pulls on the water then there is severely reduced flow. Just simply trying to wash your hands after flushing the toilet leaves the sink with just a small stream of water. Doing anything with the washer running is impossible.

I am mostly looking at the PK1A kit and was wanting some input on whether this would be the right course and if so should I stick with the smaller tank or go for the 10 gal. Also should I stick with the 1/2 hp pump size or look at going up to either 3/4 or 1hp. Will most likely go with a Goulds j5s, j7s or j10s.

I will most likely have someone install since I have no experience doing so. The plumbing looks pretty straight forward but not 100% confident on the wiring.

All in all I just wanting to see if this would be a good route to take and would like to get a setup in mind when I have the well company come out to tell them what i want done.

Attachments

• 20231209_102801.jpg
    20231209_102801.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20231209_102812.jpg
    20231209_102812.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 49

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
if you would like any of my help there are lots of questions I have. From being in the forums for a few years I think we all have lots of questions about your setup before we can guess on whats best for you. Tell us more, or tell us the most you know about your well.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am guessing the pump is running on a 30/50 pressure switch. If so, with such a small tank, the pump should be cycling on and off a lot while you are using water. If that is the case the cycling and pressure settings could be the only reason for weak pressure. That pump will build a max of 77 PSI. I would tighten the large adjustment in the pressure switch 3 full turns to the right and do a little test. That should turn the pressure switch up to about 40/60. Open enough faucets to keep the pump from building more than like 50 -55 PSI and shutting off. Let this much water run for 10-20 minutes. If the pressure stays above 40 PSI the well and pump are more than adequate. Simply adding a CSV1A Cycle Stop Valve where the tee on top of the pump is now, will give you a strong constant 50 PSI when just one shower is running.

If the pressure drops or the flow stops during the flow test, turn off the pump. Then you would need to test a little differently to see if it makes enough to add a cistern storage tank and booster pump, which can give you as much flow and pressure as you want even from a low producing well.

PK1A jet pump with sand point.jpg

Clown

Reaction score
if you would like any of my help there are lots of questions I have. From being in the forums for a few years I think we all have lots of questions about your setup before we can guess on whats best for you. Tell us more, or tell us the most you know about your well.
Sadly i know pretty much nothing but it is a 30/50 setup.

Clown

Reaction score
I am guessing the pump is running on a 30/50 pressure switch. If so, with such a small tank, the pump should be cycling on and off a lot while you are using water. If that is the case the cycling and pressure settings could be the only reason for weak pressure. That pump will build a max of 77 PSI. I would tighten the large adjustment in the pressure switch 3 full turns to the right and do a little test. That should turn the pressure switch up to about 40/60. Open enough faucets to keep the pump from building more than like 50 -55 PSI and shutting off. Let this much water run for 10-20 minutes. If the pressure stays above 40 PSI the well and pump are more than adequate. Simply adding a CSV1A Cycle Stop Valve where the tee on top of the pump is now, will give you a strong constant 50 PSI when just one shower is running.

If the pressure drops or the flow stops during the flow test, turn off the pump. Then you would need to test a little differently to see if it makes enough to add a cistern storage tank and booster pump, which can give you as much flow and pressure as you want even from a low producing well.

View attachment 95720
Thanks I will give that a try next weekend and see how it runs. It is 30/50 I forgot to put that above.

As it is pretty much once the shower is running the pump doesn't really cycle so much as run non stop. The shower will start strong for a min or 2 then loss about 30% and then the pump goes and just seems to never catch the tank backup at all until shortly after the shower

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
I'd be inclined to say that having your pump run for long cycles as you describe is better than if it did catch the tank up but switched on and off may times during one shower. Expansion tanks, even ones that take up a lot of room, don't store much water.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks I will give that a try next weekend and see how it runs. It is 30/50 I forgot to put that above.

As it is pretty much once the shower is running the pump doesn't really cycle so much as run non stop. The shower will start strong for a min or 2 then loss about 30% and then the pump goes and just seems to never catch the tank backup at all until shortly after the shower
That pump should deliver plenty of water. Either the pump is worn, you have a suction leak, or the pump is starving for water as the screen is probably gunked up as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks