Noisy exhaust AO Smith Vertex 100K

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by PlumberJohn, Jul 18, 2021.

1. PlumberJohn

PlumberJohn New Member

I put in a replacement Vertex heater after 14 years life with the old one. After about 6 months I noticed a bubbling noise outside. It almost sounded like it was popping and for a better word farting. Well as a retired plumber I put it off and told my wife I’d look at it. Well it finally started to annoy me as well! So down to the basement I went, I loosen the clamps on the exhaust tee and find this! It appears to me to be pieces of a dip tube, is this part of the heater? Has anyone else ever seen this before?

5B60FC16-E47C-41C5-B62B-81B80ACC79A9.jpeg 18CCABB4-CFB1-4DAC-AC6E-02C2F4DB60A5.jpeg 5B60FC16-E47C-41C5-B62B-81B80ACC79A9.jpeg

https://www.hotwater.com/Resources/Literature/Instruction-Manuals/Residential-Gas/Vertex™-100-BTX-Service-Handbook-(318556-000)/

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2021 at 8:01 AM
  2. Master Plumber Mark

Master Plumber Mark Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls

Sensitivity trainer.. and plumber of mens souls
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
    Looks like some junk that must have been laying in the flu pipe for decades to me..
    maybe parts of the old fan blade that flew off up into the chimney>>.??

Is it copper or just tin metal>??

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. PlumberJohn

PlumberJohn New Member

It’s blue plastic. I assume it’s something that was put in the heater during manufacturing. I replaced a smaller vertex with the 100K vertex. My concern is it’s something in the heater breaking down. This was found in the tee at the base of the heater, so it was inside the heater!

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    6 months? That would worry me too. I added a link to your post above, very different looking. I haven't installed one of these yet.
    My son Taylor has a direct vent from 2008 that will need replacing soon. I'm sure sooner than he thinks. He's a software engineer. Very good at that.

PlumberJohn likes this.
  6. fitter30

fitter30 Well-Known Member

Retired service tech
    800 527 1953 A.O. Smith tech line

PlumberJohn likes this.
  7. PlumberJohn

PlumberJohn New Member

I’ve had power vents for years. First one was a sub chamber using tin vent out the side wall and a hanging fan unit. AO Smith replaced that one with a real power vent model. This is my second Vertex, first one lasted 14 years and only failed because I talked of getting one so I wouldn’t be without hot water. Yes, it’s odd that it was in the heater. Maybe someone thought they were being cute. To me it looks like dip tube.

8. PlumberJohn

PlumberJohn New Member

Thanks, I will give them a call.

9. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

How about somebody stuck something into your exhaust port from outside. Is there a screen?

Master Plumber Mark likes this.
  10. Master Plumber Mark

Master Plumber Mark Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls

Sensitivity trainer.. and plumber of mens souls
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
    Like you said.... how do you know some kid just did not pitch this down the pipe.... or a varmint for that matter.... I had a mouse come down the flu one time and get stuck in the fan.....

If the unit is working ok now, I would not fool with it too much.. Those vertex water heaters from Smith are nothing but trouble.....

11. PlumberJohn

PlumberJohn New Member

Yes there’s screens in place, the vent has been there for years.

12. PlumberJohn

PlumberJohn New Member

Well I talked with Sam at AO Smith and he said that it was probably what they use to roll on repair for the lining. As far as the noise it started again and stopped as strangely as it started. I’m going to get some new condensate tubing and hope that works.