Black specs from hot water after doing plumbing work - 1 year old AO Smith hot water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

TurboMan

Reaction score
What would cause grimy black specs coming from the hot water side after shutting off the water supply for a short time for plumbing repairs. Every faucet had it for about 1 minute of running after turning back on the water supply. Hot water heater is a 60 gal 1 year old AO Smith. All copper pipes. We do have well water and also have a whole house salt treatment system that I make sure is always filled. The texture of the black grimy stuff is kind of slippery and leaves a trace when you try to wipe it up. It did eventually drain after leaving the water running and as I said the water did go clear after about 1 minute of running.

Done a fair amount of plumbing work and never seen this much stuff come out of the faucets.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
So there was a large amount of this stuff? Most times with black specs people determine it was from a washer on the water heater connectors or washers from other supply hoses. Your description makes it sound like it was more than a washer or two could cause.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks