NGWA and IA show Las Vegas

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I went to those shows and many others for 20+ years. Years ago it was the only way to learn about new products. But the little guys with the innovative products, at least the ones who can afford to show up, get stuck in the back row by the bathrooms. There are a lot of politics going on at trade shows. The big guys always get the best spots by the front door. I have even been moved before because my competition didn't want me across the isle from them.

Travel has gotten so bad that I hate to travel, and I assume a lot of my customers do as well. Trade shows have gotten so expensive that only the big guys can afford them anymore. Union labor keeps me from hauling my own products into the trade show. I have spent hundreds or thousands just to get a few things brought into my booth. Then if you need water and electricity for a working demo like I do, the booth price gets really high.

Then it seems the same people show up to these trade shows year after year. They make it so expensive to get in the door that the companies don't bring all the new employees and new customers who need to see this stuff. The continuing education classes are all put on by the largest vendors. So all you get is the sales pitch and hype of their most profitable products, not the meat and bones information that people really need. All you really need to know is "how to gain the up-sell, and generate more revenue per site visit". (quote from a class description at NGWA) I mean there is really no reason to learn how pumps and systems actually work, right? Making the most profit from each customer is much more important these days than actually knowing what you are doing and making pump systems cost less and last longer.

Vegas is the best place for a trade show as people will show up in town. But they may not even come to the show since there are lots more fun things to do in town. The ones that do show up come in hung over about noon, and I have been manning an empty booth since the early opening hours.

Even if I found a new and interesting product at a trade show, I would still look it up on the Internet and read the reviews. All you are getting at the trade show is the stuff that is in the glossy brochures. I spend way less on Google than I ever did on trade shows and I get thousands of NEW hits and customers everyday. The days of brick and mortar trade shows are numbered. You can get a virtual trade show from any company any time on the Internet. But it is a good excuse to go to Vegas and let your hair down. :)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A combined irrigation and water well show is a good idea. They should have been doing that for years. Everybody needs to go once. But once you have seen it, nothing much changes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks