newly poured shower pan deflection

Users who are viewing this thread

Denvergsd

Reaction score
I recently poured a 1" "top mud" for my shower pan. Today while standing on the pan in the corner I heard a sound. Not a cracking or a creaking but just a sound as if some dirt had been shuffled across on the floor. Upon inspection I noticed that my pan, or as far as I can tell, my top mud layer has some deflection in it. The is apparent almost all the way around my pan except on the curb side.

I don't understand how this could have happened as I packed the heck out of it when putting it down. My only guess is that my pan liner must have not been seated in the corner enough where it transitions from my preslope (horizontal) to my studs (vertical). I didn't notice the deflection when just my preslople was down.

Below is a video showing just how much it deflects. In the video I'm pushing down with approximately 60 pounds of force with my hands about 12" away from the corner. One thing I don't understand is that if there is truly a problem then why does the whole corner not simply break off when I (a ~200 pound guy) stands directly in the corner?

Thanks for the help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When you say 'pour', what exactly did you use for the setting bed? Typically, that's deck mud, and it is more like wet beach sand that needs to be packed and placed verses being poured. The setting bed needs to be porous to allow the moisture that will get there to percolate to the weep holes of the drain. Most anything you pour would not allow that.

If the whole piece can move up and down as a unit, it probably wouldn't crack, but it would be problematic for tile and the joint between the floor and wall (should be caulked or an engineered joint, not grouted and thus not brittle).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks