New Work in lath and plaster

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I think I will be working for a few weeks in some lath and plaster.

A couple has purchased a 2400sqft home that dates back to the 20's. At one time it was wired with knob and tube, but that has all long ago been abandoned and replaced with emt and cloth and rubber wire.

I will be doing a fair amount of work to bring the house up to modern standards. Many of the rooms have only one or two outlets, for example. Much of the lighting is via sconces, and without switches at the doors: the sconces have switches built in....

Has anyone got some good tips on cutting lath and plaster cleanly? Each time I take one of these on, I feel like I am doing surgery on an egg.

The painters will close up after me, but I simply will not be one of those guys who opens walls with a hammer.

I own and oscillating saw and a roto zip, although the roto zip is a disappointment.

The oscillating saw is new to my kit and I expect it to serve well in making rectangular holes.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
The Roto Zip is the correct tool for what you are planning even though it is a lot slower. With the saw you will damage the back of the wall or jerk slabs lose that you wasn't planning on.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A RotoZip will be dusty, at least those I've seen do not have dust collection...make sure to use a vacuum and a good dust mask or you'll be cleaning up dust everywhere! Once you get the hang of it, those can be quite good at making nice, clean holes.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Fein or one of the new knock offs is the best for this work. Fein is the best and has a toolless blade change that is quite handy.

Makes cuts smooth like butter on your toilet seat. Won't throw dust across the room. Very little danger of overcutting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks