New Whirlpool bath and shower surround. Couple questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

NewBathTub

Reaction score
Installed a 60x32 whirlpool tub, using Structolite as the bed medium 48 hours ago. First, the structolite is still dark grey. The tips are white, and from what I can touch, it's hard when I knock on it. But I would assume once it's dry, it should be all white? Correct? I've had a box fan blowing under the tub now as the drain end wall is new and completely open for about 24 of those 48 hours.

Lastly, the back of the tub is against an exterior wall. The remaining two walls of the alcove installation are interior walls. The long wall shares a wall with the living room, and the new wall I installed is in the bathroom itself, housing all the plumbing, with a linen closet to be setup on the other side, with an access panel to work on the pipes should the need ever arise.

I've reinsulated the exterior wall, and also the long wall that shares with the living room with Roxul, for both insulation for the tub, and also sound dampening into the living room. With that, I also installed a 6 mil plastic vapor barrier, taping all seams and corners on the two walls I installed Roxul in, exterior wall, and on interior wall. The 3 piece shower surround is a "to the studs installation", and suggested gluing the pieces to the studs with construction adhesive, and sealing the bottom edges to the tub flange itself with sealant, and screws along all shower surround flanges.

My question here is, I can't glue up the surround to the vapor barrier, it'll pull right away and bow the center of each of the panel. Do I NEED a vapor barrier installed here? Will the tub/shower surround act as a double vapor barrier? Or should I just cut a section of the VB away in the center of each stud to bare the wood, and glue it up that way, leaving the VB up and installed on both walls?

NewBathTub

Reaction score
Currently waiting to figure out what to do with the surround...don't have a shower or bath until I can get that surround up, so some words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks