New well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

PanteraMatt

Reaction score
My water pressure has slowly been getting worse over the last year and its at every faucet. I have a shallow well with a 1/2hp flotec jet pump thats about 4-5 years old. Its noticably louder and when the water is in use it drops to 30psi and will stay there instead of climbing back up til you turn the water off. Should I take the pump apart and see if its blocked up with sediment or just replace it? What other causes could it be? Foot valve? One way valve? If I replace it will an iron pump be louder? I was looking at this one thats very inexpensive and more powerful: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Acquaer-...910770#overlay

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If you can, remove the jet and clean it. If it's attached to the pump motor you may need new rings. If it is down in the we'll (two pipes), you'll need to pull it out. As far as the noise, being restricted of water you maybe hearing captivation, a swirling bubbly noise. Motor bearing noise could also be a cause that may sound more metallic. A bad foot valve you'll usually lose prime.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
1. How high does the pressure go before the pump shuts off?
2. Have you noticed air in your water lately?

Akrobinson18

Reaction score
1. How high does the pressure go before the pump shuts off?
2. Have you noticed air in your water lately?
We are having this issue where our new 3/4 hp jet pump for our shallow well won't raise above 30 psi. We do have air in our water. We just replaced the old pump because it died, but was working with no air in the water before, and had no psi issues. It just randomly died. New pump is same specs. Do you think adjusting to 20/40 from 30/50 would help?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
We are having this issue where our new 3/4 hp jet pump for our shallow well won't raise above 30 psi. We do have air in our water. We just replaced the old pump because it died, but was working with no air in the water before, and had no psi issues. It just randomly died. New pump is same specs. Do you think adjusting to 20/40 from 30/50 would help?
Sounds like you have a leak in the suction line. It doesn't take much of a leak to cause that problem. Water will not come out of the leak, air just goes in. Use foamy shaving cream to find the leak as you can see a hole sucked into the shaving cream.

Akrobinson18

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a leak in the suction line. It doesn't take much of a leak to cause that problem. Water will not come out of the leak, air just goes in. Use foamy shaving cream to find the leak as you can see a hole sucked into the shaving cream.
I'll try that, thank you! Second question, I'm noticing air bubbles in the water filter occasionally. So there's definitely air coming in somewhere; that still sounds like a suction line leak and not something with the tank?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks