New well, need to shock chlorinate

Users who are viewing this thread

Kallisti5

Reaction score
I purchased a properly with a newly drilled well (400ft, pump at 340ft, 8" bore) . Everything was fine at first, but after a week or so we began to get *STRONG* sulfur odors from the well water. Running the water for 20 minutes or so seems to reduce the odor.

I did a well test and came up with a positive for coliform bacteria. After some research I read that wells normally need shock chlorinated after drilling or maintenance to sanitize them and kill off harmless sulfur producing bacteria.

I've gotten little to no help from the drilling company, and the property is kind of out in the middle of nowhere. The way the well cap is designed, it looks like it's going to be difficult to gain access to the bore. Any tips? I assume I can unbolt the sanitary cap and lift it up after undoing the pvc slip joint. I've read you can use the vent pipe, but it doesn't look possible to remove it given the configuration.

IMG_20170731_113831.jpg

IMG_20170731_113855.jpg

IMG_20170731_113852.jpg

Last edited:

Kallisti5

Reaction score
Also, since the well is 400ft, and the pump/"water strata depth" is 340-395, I assume I need 0.5 gal bleach for ~50ft of water? (8" bore)

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would use the vent hole to add the chlorine. Getting the vent out looks like it might be difficult but that is what I would do.

Kallisti5

Reaction score
I would use the vent hole to add the chlorine. Getting the vent out looks like it might be difficult but that is what I would do.

I was afraid someone was going to say that :)

If I can get the vent pipe off, a tee with a screw plug on the side at the base of it feels like a good idea, i'm not sure what code is but i'd assume as long as external contaminants can't get in it should be ok.

Kallisti5

Reaction score

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If unscrewing that vent pipe is too difficult, you could remove the bug screen from the end and shove flexible tubing up into it around the bend. Just put a funnel on the end of the tubing and pour slowly followed by tap water from a hose.

Reach4

Reaction score
http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my write-up.

Highlights include
  1. add both vinegar and bleach.
  2. measure the pH and chlorine levels of the recirculating water, add more if/when needed.
  3. use the flooding volume water to drive treated water below the pump and into the aquifer near the well.
Unscrewing the pressure relief looks like another possibility.

Ideally, you could make a spray probe that could insert and wash down the inside of the well including the upper part.

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
On another note......how are you going to protect your Pump Saver and control box from the elements?

Looks more like 4" PVC to me. Anyway, I'd move the control box then chlorinate through the vent hole. Run the pump until you pull the water level down to the pump (if possible), then introduce chlorine, wash down the drop pipe, wire and inside of the 4" than let the well recover. As the well recovers, the chlorine will be carried out into the structure and will attack the bacteria.

Last edited:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Craig that is a very typical setup for SE Texas except the pump saver. The control box is weather rated but eventually will get rusty. Should still last about ten years. Not sure about the pump saver.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks